But then again, who am I to talk?
In response to Child Prodigy
Child Prodigy wrote:
Just want to point out some things...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

But then again, who am I to talk?

A better Pixel Artist than me? o__o

Photobucket
Anyway here is my edit, I would think I'm getting better. But you guys tell me what you think.
In response to Riku 123q
Well, for starters..I followed most of what Prodigy mentioned. Heres an edit I did in my free time. I know it doesn't look like yours at all, but just try learning from it.
Photobucket

-I relaxed the arms, and brought them closer to the body.

-Like Prodigy mentioned, the legs were weird looking. Imagine trying to animate the icon and making it walk with the legs spread out like that.

-I made the head rounder, and more realistic (Maybe).

-And of course, added better shading. Note that the lightsource is coming from above. x.x

Anyways, just try to learn from this edit. You don't have to copy every feature, just be creative I guess. Practice makes perfect. I'd like to see the result. ^-^
In response to Jordan11
Jordan has given you some good pointers!

Remember that your "sprite" is going to have to walk. Put it in a realistic position! If he has his legs spread out like a cowboy, his walking movements are going to be very awkward and difficult for you to layer. (Assuming that's what you're planning to do.. since you said "base")

Relax his arms and legs, work on your palette a bit, and work with the light source you're going to be offered in a BYOND environment.

This wasn't as helpful and detailed as Jordan's post, but I thought it'd be nice to put my two cents in. You've got a lot of way to go, and I'd suggest looking into some tutorials that can give you a step by step on the proportions and light detail of sprites in this perspective.

(Notice how Jordan's palette isn't as saturated, and gives it a much smoother look. Remember that.)

Edit: You might also like to look into some tutorials on working with the human anatomy. It is one of the most difficult things to pixel.