ID:258969

hat do you guys think? I am just practicing, this may or may not be used.
:O pretty big, the shading is a bit weird.
but eh what kind of game is this base going to be for?
and id probably say pic 1 is better, i like the shoulders and neck
In response to Sasuke9109
Sasuke9109 wrote:

Whats weird about the shading? He gains nothing from you calling it weird. Explain whats wrong with a piece with as much detail as you can if your going to critique something.
In response to Pmitch
Pmitch wrote:
Sasuke9109 wrote:

Whats weird about the shading? He gains nothing from you calling it weird. Explain whats wrong with a piece with as much detail as you can if your going to critique something.

i just think the shading on hes mouth,right arm and legs dont look cool thats all, but if he likes it,thats fine. i wasnt trying to be mean all anything, i just like to express my opinon is all.

ppl on these forums are so uptight -_- learn to accept that ppl have diffrent opinons, ppl dont always agree and like the same thing :) alot of ppl think my art is shit but meh i just accpet it.

btw pmitch your avatar looks awesome ^_^
Clearly you dont know what constructive criticism, or the point of this forum section is.

At this point it'd be easier to just tell you to stop posting in this section. Go look up CC.

You cant help someone improve by saying "that looks cool" or "That looks stupid". Whatever you're talking about has nothing to do with anything i mentioned.
In response to Pmitch
Thats not entirely true. Even when shading and shape are proper but the sprite doesnt have that unique look to it, and just doesnt look fun(cool) all the work on it is a waste. By saying "that looks cool" or "That looks stupid" only tells me that I need to find out whats the reason behind the feeling that person had. After all art is not done to properly show the technique or abilities but the idea that dwells in it, artists try to create a certain emotional state of the viewers. As long As I hear 'thats looks great' I know I havent wasted a single moment on the creation.

It's much more fun to find out yourself whats the cause of the certain reaction the viewer had than do receive "that shading on the right hand should be done this way...etc

If thats how the community would go about, it would greatly help to distinquish artists with passion from those monkeys that repeat what they were tought.

Sasuke9109 wrote:
but eh what kind of game is this base going to be for?
and id probably say pic 1 is better, i like the shoulders and neck

It's got a big head as I am trying to make a Chibi style base.

Shading is always a problem for me. I need tips of how to improve my shading.

It might not actually get used as I said before, but I was thinking a Chibi style Naruto game (I want to complete an Anime game in my time, but with the lack of help in pixel art it's hard (programming is fine), so I am trying to become a better artist so I can do both).
In response to Liam Howe
It looks nice, but if you're going for a chibi style I would make the eyes bigger. Make them "cute".

The colors you chose for your pallete seem alittle to similar... Change 'em up slightly. You seem to be doing what I call half and half shading.. you make one side dark and the other light, this gives the artwork a weird type of block look. What I like to do is reference my actual body. If you can, go look in a mirror and make sure the light is on nearby. Look closely at the shadows on your body, even though your body is symetrical the shadows are not..unless you have a perfect angle of light.

I tend to shade cartoonistically.(this may be what your going for)
I don't always follow the rules of light angle but I use higher contrast to point out specific areas of shade.

Nice simple tutorial on shading:
http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/shading.html

Have fun and keep up the good work.
In response to Akto

Worked a bit on it, not worrying that much about the shading JUST yet lol.
In response to Liam Howe
Do you like the way it looks? Play with the pixel until you like it.
In response to Akto
I got a front view of this base, now I decided to scrap all the shading and redo it last when everything in animated and completed.

I saw someone saying before on these forums about doing it this way (With the colors).

What do you think? Any suggestions?
In response to Liam Howe
If you want it too be smoother, add a few more frames. Right now it sort of looks like the figure is just dragging his stiff legs. When we walk we bend at the knee slightly, unless we're Forest Gump; if that's the case then the walk is still wrong. :P
In response to Doobly-Doo Productions
Doobly-Doo Productions wrote:
If you want it too be smoother, add a few more frames. Right now it sort of looks like the figure is just dragging his stiff legs. When we walk we bend at the knee slightly, unless we're Forest Gump; if that's the case then the walk is still wrong. :P

The legs are messed up haha... The arms I am liking a bit, they seem to be swaying to much, almost like he's skipping lol.
In response to Liam Howe
I'd make the arms move a lot smoother than they actually are, they kind of flick. The legs didn't need knee's, they just needed to show a bend when going back. Now it sort of looks like a crab-walk. Also, if you could... put the background on a light grey, the white hurts my eyes.

EDIT: Didn't mean to say "crap-walk" I meant to say "crab-walk".
In response to Liam Howe
Liam Howe wrote:
I got a front view of this base, now I decided to scrap all the shading and redo it last when everything in animated and completed.

I saw someone saying before on these forums about doing it this way (With the colors).

What do you think? Any suggestions?

Ya Colors can help you out with ploting movements but you want your movements to look smoother and not stiff i still have some problems my self but i say bring they arm out more and bend they elbow to reduce the swaying and give it life like movements
In response to Kama43
I agree, keep in mind where joints are. Perhaps you should put a X where they are and try and "bend" the appendages.