ID:259081

Was messing around in paint and made this..I don't know what you might use it for, but I'm never going to use it, so here you go.
Photobucket
A2J2TIWARI wrote:
Gradient shading is not the way of pixel art. Look at Art Society's tutorials to get a clear info of pixel art. :)
He used dithering, not a gradient. It's rather nice, but too bright.
In response to Vrocaan
Vrocaan wrote:
A2J2TIWARI wrote:
Gradient shading is not the way of pixel art. Look at Art Society's tutorials to get a clear info of pixel art. :)
He used dithering, not a gradient. It's rather nice, but too bright.

The biggest problem with this piece is that instead of making it look like a rock he made it look like some sort of shiny helmet...
And he did use a gradient, it's called a radial gradient, you can use dithering in a gradient.

When making a rock you dont want it to look too smooth if it is not suposed to be (not all rocks can be diamants..) A2 was right, there are some kick-ass tuts on how to make rocks. Beside that rocks do not take long to make.

for example, this stone thingy took me like a minute to make...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
In response to Pandora'sSecret
Lets not forget this is free resources lol. We can't be too picky on what people choose to donate. But its nice you guys are trying to help him get better so +1.
In response to Rockeyx2
Rockeyx2 wrote:
We can't be too picky on what people choose to donate. But its nice you guys are trying to help him get better so +1.

Why can't we? If we aren't picky, suddenly it's okay to make bad art and still feel some sense of accomplishment without getting any better. Do we want artists to feel accomplished without the drive to get any better? Do we want BYOND to be known for bad art?
This belongs in the WIP subforum, not Free Resources.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
The guy posted it here to giveaway for someone else to use. If he really wanted to try and improve on it he would of posted it in the WIP. So it doesn't match what these guys are talking about, it could be useful to someone else.

So what just because it isn't up to the standards of some people the guy can't DONATE it? This rock could easily fit into some cartoon styled game and could be useful to someone. This rock really isn't that bad. Can it use improvement? Ya sure, but, its not a terrible blob that couldn't be used by someone. Its fine here in the free resources.

Also I wasn't saying that we couldn't help him get better, I like how they were trying to help him get better as you could see from what I wrote. We can be picky, but, this isn't a terrible piece and we also don't get to pick and choose what people want to donate.

In response to Rockeyx2
Rockeyx2 wrote:
The guy posted it here to giveaway for someone else to use. If he really wanted to try and improve on it he would of posted it in the WIP. So it doesn't match what these guys are talking about, it could be useful to someone else.

So what just because it isn't up to the standards of some people the guy can't DONATE it? This rock could easily fit into some cartoon styled game and could be useful to someone. This rock really isn't that bad. Can it use improvement? Ya sure, but, its not a terrible blob that couldn't be used by someone. Its fine here in the free resources.

Also I wasn't saying that we couldn't help him get better, I like how they were trying to help him get better as you could see from what I wrote. We can be picky, but, this isn't a terrible piece and we also don't get to pick and choose what people want to donate.

Rockey, though it is in the free-resources, it doesn't mean the bloke won't update it. Updating/editing your old work is something that is regulary done when one learns new things.

I understand where you come from but when it comes down to it there is still a lot of improvement to be made on this piece and as a fellow artist I feel free to comment/criticize this piece...

That aside, when you go to renowned pixelart forums or sites, even if you say you've completed your art there will always be things people comment on, this is (most of the times) meant as construtive critisicme.

Take my ninja for example, it looks "alright" and I thought I was finished.Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Now see here what a wonderful artist named Cure gave me as C&C

cure (Level 11 Admiral) at 12/12/2011 4:48:26 AM
arms are a bit short, or the legs are a bit long. neck looks rather long as well. stick looks out of place due to the lack of outline, and a more organic shape might make it more interesting. also a really strange way to hold a walking stick, with the arm being so high and straight to the side, it looks more like he's leaning against a wall.

Now, do I look at this in anger? Hell no, this guy with all his experience takes the time to criticize my art, that is an oppurunity! Just as our comments are an oppurunity for Superfetch.

Thanks for the advice Pandora :)

Also, to everyone else, if you read my original post, you'll notice I said I was just messing around in paint and made it, so I wasn't really going for a rock, its just what came out...if I wanted to make a rock then I would do something like this:
Photobucket
I know thats not very good, but lol I just wanted to say that that original was not a rock I made with the intention of it being a rock.
Wow, I was not trying to say anything like what your trying to get at Pandora. I'm totally all for you guys trying to get him to improve it and help him get better. But i'm just going to stop now seeing as its coming out the wrong way I guess.