ID:259605

There is this person that used my Demo. I copywrited it so nobody may copy it. If a person uses it without giving credit, am I able to do something to them? I'm really curious.
As long as your demo was original material, then yes, I think so. Also, what is your demo you speak of and the one that seems to be a copy of it?

I'm not so sure you or anyone else will do anything though (well, all you could do anyways is ask someone with higher powers to do something.) But one thing is for sure, and thats that it won't ever get onto the demos section along with yours. That's the most I think will probably happen.
If it's "copywrited", you can't do a thing about it, but if it's copyrighted, then thats another story.
Hey! for someone to be so worried about a copyright, you have a "Steal Icon code".

Steal Icon Code by Unknown Person
A little code to steal an icon. Its worth the whole 15 dimes. So many icons you can own... Think about it. Your game will be a lot better...

Also your selling rm2k icons which you didn't make.
In response to Branks
It is Copyrighted. It is in the DM.Demos Section. And i want to do something about the person that is using my demo without giving me credit!
In response to Branks
I didn't know that they were rmk2 icons, i just received them from somebody
How do you know they used yours, and not one that was similar? Also, you can't do squat, because you "copywrited" it. You never copyrighted it.
In response to Garthor
Okay, i changed it to "Copyright". Happy?
Why did you make a demo if you didn't want people to copy it?
In response to OneFishDown
I made it for people to make a game like it. I just wanted people that used it to give me credit
HYPOCRITE!!!
Heh ^_^ no offense Fisho :P
In response to Maz
I've made demos, but not open sourced ones. No offense taken there, but you called me Fisho >=/

lol

<=)
In response to Unknown Person
Just FYI: in America, copyright applies to anything you have written whether or not you have formally registered it as copyrighted material. The moment you create it, you have an automatic copyright on it, even if no one knows it exists. Of course, it's good to take measures that will let you prove that you did write it when you claim you did, but that's another question!

I have to admit, though, if you're talking about a copyright on code for "stealing icons", that's pretty dang seedy. That'd be like the Communists using their freedom of speech to lobby for a government that would suppress freedom of speech. You're not a Commie, are you? :)
In response to Gughunter
Nope, i'm not a Commie, and i Live in Canada...
As a general rule, you shouldn't make things available for people to use (with or without your permission), if you don't want people to use it. In other words, don't put it on the internet somewhere and expect people not to use it. If you don't want people using your demos, don't hand them out open-sourced. Just explain how you did what you did in a text file or something.

So to answer the question of what can you do about it, I'd have to counter with a question of what are they doing with it in the first place? You need to take better care of your property so you don't have to worry about other people stealing it or using it without your permission. Most matters like this aren't really worth bothering over. An issue over credits, unless money or career is involved, is not worth the trouble.

Solution: Forget about it and try harder to not let it happen again.
In response to Triste
OKAY LET'S CHANGE THE SUBJECT!

I'm going to start creating all my icons from scratch.
They probably won't look anything like rm2k icons so they cannot be mistaken for them.

So how do I make sure that no one screenshots them and uses them for their own game. And, if I see them being used by another person, how can I prove that they're mine??? Do I just have to sit back and let that person use my icons?
OneFishDown wrote:
I've made demos, but not open sourced ones. No offense taken there, but you called me Fisho

Without being open source it isn't really a demo. Such a thing is more of a proof of concept. The point of a demo is to show someone how to do something.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I have the demo of Doom, but it's not the source code and an explanation of how it works.
OneFishDown wrote:
I have the demo of Doom, but it's not the source code and an explanation of how it works.

Yes, but Doom is a game demo - This kind of demo shows off the game, The demos under Developers demos are ment for code demos - demos of how to do somthing.
In response to Xzar
My demos aren't in DM.Demos. If I wanted to make something open-source to show people how to do it then I'd make a tutorial.
Page: 1 2