ID:259768

I don't understand why you are getting rid of the zip uploads. they were so much simpler and plus webservers cost money. your basicaly charging us money to make games you said were free to put on the hub.
If you didnt know...it costs them money for bandwith, and they were using an extreme amount for hosting games...also, peoples abused or took advantage it just like the dime system
Dragon warrior2662 wrote:
webservers cost money

And, with that said, what makes you think their web server is free?
In response to Goku72
because the webserver was owned in 1999-2000. Webservers were free until 2001.
In response to Dragon warrior2662
So your saying that no webserver anywhere charged anyone anything untill 2001?
In response to Jotdaniel
HAHAHAHAHA!!! I needed a good laugh. Apparently this person has NO idea what a webserver is and how the internet works.
In response to Dragon warrior2662
because the webserver was owned in 1999-2000. Webservers were free until 2001.

...that is meant to be a joke, right?

...right?...

...riiiight...
In response to Crispy
As mentioned in Post [link] there are key benefits to not having the BYOND servers host files for downloading:

"1) You aren't tied to the bandwidth of the BYOND server, so you can find the fastest web server you'd like to give your players the best possible experience downloading your game.

2) BYOND's servers no longer need to be devoted to serving these files, which means they should be much zippier when dealing with logins, forums, pagers, etc."

Taken from Post [link] - "...A few users were very bad about uploading large files to the hub, and some even recently used it as their own personal backup storage, which it is not. Remember, this is Dantom's space, shared among many many users, and we want to keep it free for games, libraries, and the forums."

Such activity, including using the hub as a central-point for scams, is largely what is responsible for being unable to upload new games to the BYOND server- that crap cost bandwidth, which in turn costs money to pay for. The server itself may very well be paid-off, but traffic to and from the server provides a steady depletion of Dan and Tom's personal cash (usually charged on a per-Megabyte-of-data-transmitted basis).

You can thank all those who felt it was ok to take advantage of the free service by abusing it. Their lack of morals, ethics, respect, or just plain common sense has ruined it for the rest of us.

So now instead of storing the file on Dantom's servers, you just need to store it elsewhere. If you cannot afford a free host (and there are still some out there if you bother to take the time to look), you can store your game on your own computer for people to download directly when you are online. Using a simple webserver like badblue.com, you can set up a little webspace that people can connect to in order to download your game. And you can register a free dynamic domain name with http://www.dyndns.org/ and use an updater client (found on the same site) so that people can use http://dragonwarrior2662.dyndns.org/mygame.zip to download your game directly (this link would also appear in your hub entry). All without needing to remember your ip address (which may change each time you connect to the internet).
In response to digitalmouse
You left out the last digit to both of those post IDs, so I added them for you. Remember, we're in 6-digit territory.

Lummox JR
I don't understand why you are getting rid of the zip uploads.

Actually it's more than that. You don't understand that they already did, a couple of months ago. It's not like uploads are in the process of going away; they're gone. (Although libraries and demos remain, for the time being, an exception.) But the "why" part was explained at great length.

they were so much simpler and plus webservers cost money.

Cost is a two-way street. Dantom were having to pay hosting fees themselves for something that was netting them basically nothing.

your basicaly charging us money to make games you said were free to put on the hub.

Not at all. Your Web host is the one who charges you money, and games are still free to put on the hub.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
odd that- it looked ok when i copy-n-pasted them... oh well, thanks!
I don't understand why you are getting rid of the zip uploads. they were so much simpler and plus webservers cost money. your basicaly charging us money to make games you said were free to put on the hub.

You can use somthing like www.50megs.com to host your files
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
You can use somthing like www.50megs.com to host your files

There are probably some nifty games that could fit in a .25 MB file size limit. I just question whether or not sites like those are generally useful for BYOND creators. Granted, I have a relatively huge zip file for one of my games, but even my smaller projects can easily go over .25 MB.

My files are currently hosted on planetBYOND. From what I gather, HavenMaster won the hosting package from Oreldwin's Dynehost in a contest to be a useful BYOND resource (ID:250766). I don't know if its completely ready. I don't even know if hosting files is one of its major purposes. Some people might want to politely ask HavenMaster about it.

That said, I imagine that people would be happy to know of more sites that allow zip files without low file size limits. I think I saw some that allowed files sizes up to around 1-1.5 MB, but I passed on them since I had an unusually large game. Unfortunately, finding them means searching through lists of useless sites based on rumors and I know that road can be hell.
In response to ACWraith
EDIT: I just added a simple PHP script to my site. http://www.planetbyond.com/upload.php It restricts files to .zips, but there is no limit on size.To access your files go to:
http://www.planetbyond.com/zips/yourfile.zip

Please don't ruin it for everyone by abusing it.
i do know a site where u can post ure game to dl try freewebs i use it to host my dl