ID:259972

Gah, none of my friends have BYONDmembers, and they don't want it, and I even offered it to them! So, could it be an option to add non-BYONDmembers to your friends list?

Ol' Yeller
You can already, you just can't see their location. "Members can still initiate conversations with non-members." implies this ;).
In response to Nadrew
I mean the friends list on the BYONDmembers page, sorry for not being specific!
In response to Ol' Yeller
Well, it's like this because the friends list is there to keep you updated when your friends post stuff on their blogs (it'll show their posts at the top of your page if you haven't read them) and non-members don't really have blog pages (unless they had one, and let their membership expire, but there still wouldn't be updates), so the main point of it is lost.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Well, it's like this because the friends list is there to keep you updated when your friends post stuff on their blogs (it'll show their posts at the top of your page if you haven't read them) and non-members don't really have blog pages (unless they had one, and let their membership expire, but there still wouldn't be updates), so the main point of it is lost.

It is also intended to help publicize the blogs of others members ("Oh if this guy likes this person's blog, maybe I should check it out"), so it wouldn't make much sense for non-members to be listed.
In response to Deadron
I like the function, but perhaps the name could stand to be changed to something which does not imply a personal relationship. There are blogs that I read often, but I don't list them in my friends list because it feels wrong when I'm not chatting or playing games with them often. Unfortunately, I don't have any good suggestions for a name other than maybe having the word "Blogs" in it.
In response to ACWraith
"Blogs Watched"?

I agree with your rationale. The friends label cuts both ways... it implies that people whose blogs you don't watch (or who don't have a blog to watch) aren't as good a friend... and it implies that people whose blogs you do watch are.
In response to Hedgemistress
Hedgemistress wrote:
"Blogs Watched"?

I agree with your rationale. The friends label cuts both ways... it implies that people whose blogs you don't watch (or who don't have a blog to watch) aren't as good a friend... and it implies that people whose blogs you do watch are.

It was inspired by 1UP.com, where they also have a friends listing but with two differences:

- They don't have the functionality showing you that friends have blog updates.

- They do have "opt-in" for friendship...the person you are putting on your list has to approve it.

Given that my main motivation was blog notification, I didn't want to require the "opt-in" part, but I couldn't come up with a better term than "friend".

I agree that the term is possibly a bit misplaced here, though "Blogs watched" is kind of unsexy. We'll think about it, and are open to more input on what it should be called.
In response to Deadron
"Hot Blogs"? Or maybe "Barely Legal"... :P

Here's a thought... let members put in their own title for the field? Those who use it for friends, can deem the listees as such. Those who use it to keep tabs on their enemies can do otherwise, and so on. :P
In response to Hedgemistress
Hedgemistress wrote:
Here's a thought... let members put in their own title for the field?

This feature has been added.