ID:260051

I don't think BYOND has this feature. One person publishes a game, and it goes under their name. Why not have a feature allowing them to add more than one person to the list? Instead of their name being mentioned as being part of the team in the description, why not have it so that all those members have the game included in their portfolio?

I'm not saying all those members have to be able to edit that's game publishing features. I'm merely saying give credit where credit is deserved. If the game was a effort between a team, they can have their names added to their portfolio or "My games" list. Possibly, even adding a "Games I worked on" list for members. There should be a limit to the max amount of team members, of course. The list is not meant for testers, people who gave suggestions, etc. I'm saying if Joe Jones coded a game, but John Smith made the icons they should both get credit because they worked together.

This might have been considered or suggested before, I don't know. If the list thing would get too long, you can add slots like Coder(s): Icon Artist(s): etc but i'm sure that's revamping the current system, not just adding that game more than one person's porfolio or My Games list.
BYOND has the best multiplayer support, so why the hell doesn't it support multi-developers? The problem with CVS is that it's very unsecure, but I bet you could make a safe, easy way to have developers all be able to edit the same files kinda like how you have multiplayer support.

Now THAT would be an awesome feature for 4.0.
In response to Kunark
considering there are many systems (CVS (yes i know it has problems, but it is still an option), Subversion, etc.) for team-development, i don't believe that integrating this into BYOND is such a priority.

besides, the biggest problem in team development on BYOND is the team itself. no amount of software can fix people who do not know how to work in a team in the first place. if properly organized, a small, focused, and communicative team does not really require team-management/project-development/versioning software. it only helps to track the teams efforts, assuming the team is co-hesive and responsible enough to begin with.

that said, i've successfully worked in project-teams with little more than a forum, and lately with dotproject (http://www.dotproject.net/) - the later being a free web-based project management tool.
Justin Knight wrote:
I'm not saying all those members have to be able to edit that's game publishing features. I'm merely saying give credit where credit is deserved.

Where did I state that everyone on that team should be able to edit the game in the game's publsihing screen, guys?

My suggestion was more of a website feature that a BYOND feature itself. It would simply allow more than one person to have the game in their portfolio or "My Games" list if they are a member. The fact of the matter is, most people do not work on their games alone, so why should one person get all the credit for making the game(only the person who published it has the game in their porfolio or My Games list)?
In response to Justin Knight
I know that. Sorry, I was making kind of an irrelated suggestion because your suggestion sounded similar to it so it made me think of it :)
In response to digitalmouse
Yes, I know teams are generally the problem themselves... But remember, very little people who join BYOND and such probably know about those team-based programs, how to use them, how to set up a linux server (or whatever), etc... If it were actually integrated into BYOND, it would make it a WHOLE lot easier, and more secure.

There is a lot of ways around it, but I think it would still be a cool feature for 4.0 :)
In response to Kunark
yeah I agree. It would help teams and the quality of games on BYOND in general a hell of a lot better. As (like me) some coders have weak points which are other coders strongpoints. I think if that was added games would most likely improve dramatically, (unless the team members really are idiots)