ID:2603014

BYOND Version:513
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Safari 13.1.1
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Evening! I'm observing pretty horrible performance with the status panel on SS13 (namely /tg/ based code). When I open / re-open the statpanel (or get a new mob) it takes roughly 1-2 seconds to physically render the stat pane, which locks up the game temporarily. I have not had this issue until very recently with the latest batch of 513 (Around 513.1517 was fine IIRC) , but it's forcing myself (and others I imagine) to not look at the stat pane, or have the following happen:
1. Client noticeably chugs, I notice an outright framerate drop when on statpane.
2. The byond client will outright freeze for a few seconds (a scrollbar briefly appears on the stat pane too, as it seems to scroll down while adding the new statclicks) when you tab onto status from another tab.

I'm making this report as I believe this to be a bug with the BYOND client rather than ss13's stat coding, seeing as the status pane lag has only really become bad recently. Thanks for your time.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

1. Open game
2. Switch off of status panel

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Status pane (statpanel) should not affect framerate, and tabbing out of it should be smooth.

Actual Results:
Statpane noticeably hampers performance, and takes a while to physically re render after tabbing away from it.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?

As far as I can tell, most ss13 servers that have not outright replaced statpane with a browser window experience this.

When does the problem NOT occur?
Never

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

I can't exactly remember, the lag has always been there, but it's really noticeable recently. At a ballpark I'd say 153.1517 wasn't affected as much?

Workarounds:
Never look at the stat pane, and play with solely a static verb based tab

If you can narrow it down more that would be helpful. It's possible that updates to the right-click behavior caused a change, but I wouldn't expect them to make anything worse.

More than that, though, I need a test case. It would help to narrow down also what sorts of verbs cause this. SS13 has a lot of verbs with "in world" arguments; perhaps that's part of it.
I'll investigate. I think it's definitely limited to things involving statclick() that update over time, as verb tabs are 100% smooth
Verb tabs being smooth rules out what I was thinking, so that's good to know.
Performance takes a big hit on stat panels that have changing counters and timers, for example /tg/'s statpanel has changing round time, engine time, time dilation, ping and more values and I think that's causing the issue because you notice an even BIGGER hit when you use the MC panel which holds even more constantly changing values

Demo:
60 fps world fps
Swap between stat and command panels while moving and you'll notice the difference with 25 counters
http://puu.sh/Gih25/c21ffab170.rar
Confirmed... I also noticed this same issue with grids that have a certain amount of text information in any given cell -- client FPS drops as long as that grid cell is seen.