ID:2604917

Not urgent, to be honest, but I would appreciate some info on the following:

How do you accomplish the fade to black effect commonly seen during location changes?

I hear a lot about making a game run better by limiting activity where a player isn't present. What's a good way to accomplish this?

For those of you with popular games (Should I be so lucky); HOW DO YOU MAKE ALL THE PRESENTATION SO NICE TO LOOK AT? I hate looking at my games' hubs, they're all so dreary and boring. Someone save me from myself.

How do I allow a mob to enter a dense turf without messing with the Enter proc? Asking for a friend.

Where do we draw the line between original parody and shameless ripoff?

Thank you for reading, thanks even more for any answers.
- Law
How do you accomplish the fade to black effect commonly seen during location changes?

You can do this a number of ways. There are too many to list, so I'll list 3.

a) animate(client.color). This will fade to black.

b) scale up an all black sprite to fill the screen. Set its alpha to 0, and then animate(sprite.alpha) to 255.

c) place an all black sprite on the screen with its transform set to matrix(0,1,ICON_WIDTH/-2,0,SCREEN_HEIGHT/ICON_HEIGHT,0), then animate(sprite.transform) to matrix(SCREEN_WIDTH/ICON_WIDTH,1,(SCREEN_WIDTH-ICON_WIDTH)/ 2,0,SCREEN_HEIGHT/ICON_HEIGHT,0). This will perform a horizontal screen wipe. Simply offset the initial position, or rotate the formulas used to do the wipe in a different direction.

I hear a lot about making a game run better by limiting activity where a player isn't present. What's a good way to accomplish this?

Depends on the activity. Generally speaking, break your game up into areas, and make areas responsible for running the schedules of objects inside of them. Then make the areas aware of when players are nearby them.

How do I allow a mob to enter a dense turf without messing with the Enter proc? Asking for a friend.

You can allow a mob to enter a dense turf without messing with the Enter proc by temporarily setting the mob's density to 0. You will want to do something like this:

//check if no movables are going to block the movement
for(var/atom/movable/o in turf)
if(!o.Cross(src))
return 0
//store the old density and set density to 0
var/odensity = density
density = 0
. = Move(turf,get_dir(src,turf))
//potential logic error: You must spawn(-1) if you want to change player density in Bump(), Entered(), Exited(), etc.
//change the density back
density = odensity
Thanks for answering. Appreciate it.