Wargames2

by Acebloke
Wargames2
The next chapter
ID:2605499

Well its been nearly three months since the last update, when I was "nearly there" and "about a week or two left to go".

Its been 3 months.

Its not ready yet.

I'm essentially held up by a bug regarding borders in Wargames2. Essentially, with the migration features I want it to delete the old borders and place new ones. At first I was struggling to even make new ones and the old ones wasn't deleting. I then fixed it so new ones were being made, but then old ones wasn't deleting. Then I worked out how to get some of the old ones to delete, but not all of them. Then I tried 10 other things and got no better off.

Then I deleted all the border code in a fit of rage.

Then I thought I fixed it with a basic extra line of code.

Then I had to plug in my external drive and retrieve the border code I deleted previously in a conveniently recently saved file (remember kids, back up your files!)

Then I found out I hadn't fixed it at all.

As you can see, this border bug is really getting on my wick. In fact, after I post this I will likely try another attempt to fix it as I've come up with another idea (how about moving the borders rather than deleting and putting new ones in! Jeez how did I NOT think of that one!).

So in case people were wondering "wait, wasn't there a wargames2 update around the corner?" that is why. Most of the other things I had said would be in is in to some degree, I'm also making a big effort to remove HUD displays that take over the map screen, essentially utilising other windows better. Still got some things to do but its now in a releasable state - at least when this border issue is fixed. Information and Buildings is now in separate windows. The only thing left to remove from the HUD is the research and unit panels, which I always thought was cool, but actually I think they would be better elsewhere.

Hopefully the next update will be a release update.
What are the borders made of? Areas? A custom datum? Big, big fences?
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:
What are the borders made of? Areas? A custom datum? Big, big fences?

I've tried alsorts, including obj, area, others. It doesn't run like a traditional BYOND game. The issue I'm having is that since Lummux JR took over development, sometimes lines just "stop working". A lot of it is due to redundant code (some of this stuff is 15 years old).

An example of this is where I had a line:

A.country = B.country

I had to switch this to:

A.country = "[B.country]"

I've had maths issues where 1 + 1 = 1.991125921 even when rounded...

With this code, I'm asking it to search for the borders in the immediate vicinity and just get rid of it to debug it. Even using world as a search parameter doesn't seem to make a difference. I should have kept it deleted and start from scratch.

My main problem is when I code originally, I'll do whatever works at the time and it often struggles later. Lazy coding, lazy coder!