ID:260561

Opacity is used to block the light, thus not being able to see anything behind an item, correct? Well is there anyway we could get a opacity like variable that would be set to an icon/object that would create an image so instead of the black, non visable area, it'd be replaced with an icon? This would be really useful for ships on the sea when tons of ships are all on the same map.
You can give each client a background comprised of screen objects which are on a lower layer than the turfs. These will replace the black background.
In response to GhostAnime
Not exactly,(it is similar) so ill give you an example.
Heres what it actually looks like,
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1716/scrnshot1gg4.png
This is what i want it to look like,
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1706/ copyofscrnshot1fc8.png

Basically where the black area would be, would be the same effect as opacity, just your own image
In response to Foomer
Yeah but you can swim in the area of water, so if you swim far enough to the side of the ship, wouldn't the screen objects interfere with the ship's image?
In response to Chibi-Gohan0
If the object on the client screen had a lower layer level then the ships, no it wouldn't.

If you want to "trim" off the "void" areas, you can set client.perspective to EDGE_PERSPECTIVE and then set the edge_limit value to what you want.
In response to GhostAnime
GhostAnime wrote:
If the object on the client screen had a lower layer level then the ships, no it wouldn't.

If you want to "trim" off the "void" areas, you can set client.perspective to EDGE_PERSPECTIVE and then set the edge_limit value to what you want.

Alright, But that wasnt taken at the edge of the map, it was just an opaque wall arround the ship. I still think it would make a nice feature, it would make the seas feel limitless.
Then just fill a map with water as far as you can see, and no more?
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
Then just fill a map with water as far as you can see, and no more?
Ugh. i already stated the map is filled with tons of ships, and around each ship is its own opacity wall, which is why i want this feature because it'll look like the seas is endless when its not.
Just enough sea between the ships that they can't see each other?
In response to Kaiochao
Using screen objects is already a flawless way to do this, you don't really need to suggest alternatives. Using an opaque wall between ships would create the most efficient use of space on a map.
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Using screen objects is already a flawless way to do this, you don't really need to suggest alternatives. Using an opaque wall between ships would create the most efficient use of space on a map.

It's not flawless because you'll see the screen objects sliding out from under the real water. Or, all the water could be screen objects (water thus just being a turf with the lowest layer) in which case it slides out from under the ship.
In response to Garthor
Garthor wrote:
Foomer wrote:

It's not flawless because you'll see the screen objects sliding out from under the real water.

Oh yeah, I forget most people play games with animated movement. I always turn that off.