ID:260799

I've read another thread discussing this topic last year. The thread/topic I read was posted in 2005. They said it would be impossible to port a version to the pocketpc's

Surely pocketpc's today can play 2d games-with netplay right?

By pocketpc i don't mean a phone/smartphone. I mean a PocketPC with Windows Mobile OS and a full qwerty keyboard and touch screen.
If I am not mistaking, Byond's visuals are produced by Direct X And OpenGL. Most cell phones / smartphones use Java as their overall basis. Don't quote me on that however.
They've ported doom 3 to the pocketpc... and it works online though on some devices it'll be quite laggy.

I appreciate that you did some forum searching before asking this question, since most people don't. I'm afraid you missed some newer discussion on the topic, though, because the question of whether BYOND can be ported to mobile devices comes up far more frequently. The short answer is, it can't. Not yet anyway.

A device running Windows Mobile might change that equation slightly, but with a lot of ifs. The advantage here is that Windows Mobile is in theory not that different from a regular Windows OS, just with more limitations. It'd mostly be a matter of redesigning DS to operate in smaller-screen environments and redoing all our Windows controls to avoid features that Mobile doesn't have. This is non-trivial but perhaps possible. However, I fear BYOND's memory and speed requirements could be more than a mobile device is likely to bear.

Lummox JR
In response to Leur
http://www.mobilitydigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067

the touchpro/fuze that i have also should be able to play cod2 and some other 3d games 0.o

the fuze has a hardware keyboard so maybe it might be possible to play byond in landscape mode. prolly have a button to bring up the menu/text box