ID:260816

Let me start off by saying that 455 is awesome, but there are some rather annoying changes:

• The instance editor no longer displays every instance. Whilst this may be a nice change in theory, I can no longer map that efficiently anymore. SS13's maps have a lot of objects such as pipes and cables. These not only have a changed dir, but also some other variables are different. Because they are no longer visible through the instance editor - and because I can't just "tag" them because they're not unique objects - I can no longer proper lay new cables and wiring. Suggestion: Add an option to the right-click menu in the instance editor below "Generate Instances From Directions" to "Find and Show All Instances".
  • The Click vs. Ctrl+Click behavior being switched is very annoying and I believe it is definately going to confuse new developers as well. Suggestion: Make the new behavior used when a turf or area is selected, and use the old method when an obj or mob is selected.
  • Sometimes, you just don't want to see pixel offsets since you want to know the real locations of objects. Suggestion: Make a toggle (under the Options or Layers menu) that allows you to turn the automatic display of pixel offsets on or off at will.
  • Missing feature: Ctrl+Shift+Click that makes an object be inserted at the underlying object instead of above the topmost.
Android Data wrote:
The instance editor no longer displays every instance. Whilst this may be a nice change in theory, I can no longer map that efficiently anymore. SS13's maps have a lot of objects such as pipes and cables. These not only have a changed dir, but also some other variables are different. Because they are no longer visible through the instance editor - and because I can't just "tag" them because they're not unique objects - I can no longer proper lay new cables and wiring. Suggestion: Add an option to the right-click menu in the instance editor below "Generate Instances From Directions" to "Find and Show All Instances".

That's an interesting concept, although possibly not as intuitive as some. Another option is just marking all instances as manually generated (those always show) that are found when the map is loaded. I'd like to find an even more intuitive solution if possible though.

The main reason the instance editor changed was because nudging an atom repeatedly created a ton of new instances that would never be used, that shouldn't show in the list. We couldn't really come up with a good intuitive workaround until we figured anything manually generated (via an edit, or New Instance, or Generate Instances From X) should show up. I'm open to alternate ideas.

The Click vs. Ctrl+Click behavior being switched is very annoying and I believe it is definately going to confuse new developers as well. Suggestion: Make the new behavior used when a turf or area is selected, and use the old method when an obj or mob is selected.

Reactions to this change have been mixed--some like it, some don't. Whether we'll make any further changes to this I don't know, but having one behavior for turfs and another for objs definitely won't happen. The inconsistency would be far worse.

Sometimes, you just don't want to see pixel offsets since you want to know the real locations of objects. Suggestion: Make a toggle (under the Options or Layers menu) that allows you to turn the automatic display of pixel offsets on or off at will.

Sounds like an interesting idea. I'd be fine with that.

Missing feature: Ctrl+Shift+Click that makes an object be inserted at the underlying object instead of above the topmost.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR

Missing feature: Ctrl+Shift+Click that makes an object be inserted at the underlying object instead of above the topmost.

Ctrl+Click = insert object x above all objects on tile y

Ctrl+Shift+Click = insert object x below all objects on tily y
In response to Jotdaniel
Jotdaniel wrote:

Ctrl+Click = insert object x above all objects on tile y

Ctrl+Shift+Click = insert object x below all objects on tily y

To add to this, there appears to be a layering issue if you place an object with pixel_z set, and then place another object with a lower pixel_z. Although the second object is "positioned" below the first, it is layered above it. It's possible it's just a bug and not a feature for layering. However, if it is, being able to specify it should be placed below other objects would be helpful (although it would have to ignore turfs and areas, which might also be confusing.. and then how would you place an object between two others?)

To add to these map editor requests, is there any chance an option could be added to "highlight" or outline all atoms at the currently selected tile? Maybe a tall rectangle outline? It can get quite confusing trying to tell which tile an object with a high pixel_z is actually over.
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
To add to this, there appears to be a layering issue if you place an object with pixel_z set, and then place another object with a lower pixel_z. Although the second object is "positioned" below the first, it is layered above it. It's possible it's just a bug and not a feature for layering. However, if it is, being able to specify it should be placed below other objects would be helpful (although it would have to ignore turfs and areas, which might also be confusing.. and then how would you place an object between two others?)

pixel_z has no impact on drawing order. If you place something with a lower pixel_z after something with a higher one, the second object is drawn later because they're on the same tile and have the same layer, so all other things being equal only the sequence in which they're made matters.

To add to these map editor requests, is there any chance an option could be added to "highlight" or outline all atoms at the currently selected tile? Maybe a tall rectangle outline? It can get quite confusing trying to tell which tile an object with a high pixel_z is actually over.

Possibly; adding outlines is trickier than it sounds but it's something I could look at.

Lummox JR