ID:260853

Very simple: gives the developer access to the computer_id of the host machine. If the BYOND Pager isn't running, then this value is null.
Android Data wrote:
If the BYOND Pager isn't running, then this value is null.

Why should it be null if the pager isn't running? computer_id does not depend on key.
In response to Loduwijk
I have a sneaking suspicion that a computer_id couldn't be derived for a Linux host, but if it could then sure why not.
In response to Stephen001
Why would that be the case? If it were, I would say that computer_id needs to be redone. At the very least, just make it the mac address.
In response to Loduwijk
Because I can imagine the storage of the ID is very Windows specific, Linux doesn't really have an equivalent to the registry hive. So clients on Wine will presumably have a computer_id, just not native *NIX hosts.
[link]

Still holds.

If computer_id doesn't handle it, then there's a problem with it that should be resolved. Again, at the very least just make computer_id = mac address, as mac addresses have nothing to do with windows.

If computer_id were just set to equal the client's mac address. If you're using computer_id for banning and want to make sure the player's can't easily get around it, then computer_id can be a simple encrypted version of the client's mac address. Then the easiest way for a player to circumvent it is to buy and install new hardware in their computer.

Also, if they figured the computer_id by checking something like this which would not change, it wouldn't even have to be stored anywhere.

And if it was simply that storage were done in a Windows specific way, then I'd say that's a very poor excuse. It's not like there's nothing else that Byond has to take the operating system in use into account for; if the OS isn't Windows, store it different.

Short answer again: no reason for it not to work on Linux. If it doesn't, it should.
In response to Loduwijk
The mac address is extremely easy to change on Linux and pretty easy to change on windows if you look it up. Wine makes its own windows registry so computer_id would probably still work. Although the Linux daemon would have to do it differently.
In response to Loduwijk
At the same time, I don't see any big loss if it only worked on Windows.
Whether or not that is the case in the oppinion of some, it does directly interfere with requests such as this very thread. So, even if it weren't considered a big loss by some people, it does become more of a loss when it interferes with further features.
Stephen001 wrote:
Because I can imagine the storage of the ID is very Windows specific, Linux doesn't really have an equivalent to the registry hive. So clients on Wine will presumably have a computer_id, just not native *NIX hosts.

Still, if the app is on a *NIX host, there's bound to be some method of generating a unique ID for the machine itself. It wouldn't be hard to add support for an alternate id generation method depending on the OS Dream Seeker is being run on, surely?
I just came here to request this feature as well. There are a few situations where this would be pretty handy, especially when it comes to protecting hosting files.