ID:260915

I recently read the thread in which the new site was being discussed, as well as the thread talking about the new flash client. Now, considering i only starting using the BYOND forums properly last month/the month before, I realised that for a lot of people, they don't know things like this are happening.

I also noticed that the last News post (the news that gets sent to the Pager) was about BYOND meeting facebook, which was quite a while away. I just think that something should be done to inform those who do not read the forums that often, but are still contributers to the BYOND society, of the latest news within the community.

So I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to continue on with the News section, to allow those who do not venture onto the BYOND site that often to be alerted of the new things that are happening with BYOND.

I am not suggesting that I do it, because I am far too "out of the loop", and I am very busy with my current project. I understand a lot of people will have this problem too, and fully appreciate that there may not be anyone suitable for this.

Any feedback is appreciated in advance.
I can certainly submit a post for this, as a way of informing people. I know that Tom and Lummox tend to be pretty averse to the idea of releasing information on their work until it's more or less wrapped up however.

However for Tom and Lummox, I think both of these ideas are pretty much "out of the bag" at this point, so they are committed to either bringing them to completion or publicly backtracking as it is, so there's no harm in pushing out a proper news article on these matters. The improvement to community atmosphere these announcements would have should really go without saying, thanks to the points SadKat Gaming has already noted.

I'll write an article up, submit and see.
SadKat Gaming wrote:
So I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to continue on with the News section, to allow those who do not venture onto the BYOND site that often to be alerted of the new things that are happening with BYOND.

Agreed. We will make a real effort in this upcoming year to provide better updates. This is oft requested.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
I can certainly submit a post for this, as a way of informing people. I know that Tom and Lummox tend to be pretty averse to the idea of releasing information on their work until it's more or less wrapped up however.

However for Tom and Lummox, I think both of these ideas are pretty much "out of the bag" at this point, so they are committed to either bringing them to completion or publicly backtracking as it is, so there's no harm in pushing out a proper news article on these matters. The improvement to community atmosphere these announcements would have should really go without saying, thanks to the points SadKat Gaming has already noted.

I'll write an article up, submit and see.

*cough cough*
http://www.byond.com/members/byondlabs
In response to Flame Sage
Is not really used, as BYOND's news section does a similar job. Don't get me wrong, I liked the idea of BYONDLabs.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
Is not really used, as BYOND's news section does a similar job. Don't get me wrong, I liked the idea of BYONDLabs.

I loved the idea of BYOND Labs. It's just too bad they come up with these awesome ideas, then some of them just kind of fizzle out right after their introduction.
heh...
Last post on BYOND Labs is dated: February 01, 2008
Having to visit some specific member's page to receive news about BYOND seems odd. There's a section for it right on the pager, it just hasn't been updated in ~9 months.
In response to Falacy
I know falacy, that was what this post was originally talking about. Lummox Jr was the original writer of the posts, as far as i'm aware, and he hasnt posted on his site in a while, hence the last news bulletin being the facebook thing.

I think it would be nice to see it as a pop-up box, not specifically linked to a user's site, containing the news. Just a thought ^.^