ID:260948

For my game I would like to use a full-screen map which means that chat is hard to do unless I use transparent chat so my player can still see what's going on. That is to say I would have a second window containing an output and input that are both transparent to a certain degree.

Without this my game looks unprofessional and if I try to use it my map goes fuzzy because like the warning says, the current blending is incompatible with Direct X.

How a modern program could have compatibility issues with Direct X is just.. is just "Byond" me.

Basically what's the deal and is this going to be fixed?
Just do something like this.
In response to SuperAntx
That looks... bad.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
No, it doesn't.
In response to Madow
Madow wrote:
No, it doesn't.

Yes, it does. I obscures quite a large portion of the screen. I hope you're not expecting to be ambushed from southeast.
The simple fact is that DirectX's rendering doesn't play nicely with transparent and translucent windows. That might have improved in newer operating systems so I think it's something we could put to the test and perhaps detect, but it might depend on the GPU as well. Before this was put in, games that mixed transparency/translucency with hardware rendering experienced all kinds of artifacts.

Another potential option we may have is to use an internal DirectX buffer but somehow blit it via GDI in a way that won't suck up significant processor resources. I'm dubious whether that's possible but it's something we could look at.

We've been talking about other rendering improvements that could be done like built-in text without having to rely on DmiFontsPlus, so that might even end up being the simpler option.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
We've been talking about other rendering improvements that could be done like built-in text without having to rely on DmiFontsPlus, so that might even end up being the simpler option.

Yum! =)
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

Yay, we'll finally get one of the last features that was slated for 4.0's initial release =P
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

There is a god.... I'm so happy I could, oh what the hell. ;_;
I have wanted to see something like that for so long! <3
In response to Lummox JR
And now I understand why we're always looking for dry panties; these wet ones are just plain uncomfortable.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:

Yay, we'll finally get one of the last features that was slated for 4.0's initial release =P

Just to be clear I'm not promising anything here. The gist is that I recently had a brainstorm as to how this would work, and it might be fairly Flash-compatible which would improve our ability to make minimal-interface games (which Flash is best at anyway).
In response to Lummox JR
On that note, the lack of interface features renders my mouse tracking library inoperable for Flash. Is there any way we could get that built in? It'd be nice to not be lacking a feature that every other Flash game has access to.
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
Madow wrote:
No, it doesn't.

Yes, it does. I obscures quite a large portion of the screen. I hope you're not expecting to be ambushed from southeast.

FINALLY someone understands that it's completely not cool to clutter up the player's screen with stuff that could potentially block the player from seeing important things.

i.e.; an enemy ninja powering up his jutsus high signals to ki blast you or w/e
In response to Duelmaster409
Duelmaster409 wrote:
FINALLY someone understands that it's completely not cool to clutter up the player's screen with stuff that could potentially block the player from seeing important things.

You've got much bigger problems to worry about if covering less than 10% of your screen completely breaks the game. The only thing wrong with the screenshot I linked to is the eye being off center one tile to the right which makes the output panel appear to cover more than it actually does.
In response to SuperAntx
Put a opaque background behind the text in Decadence and tell me if it's still not an issue.
Decadence is displayed in 640x480, the text takes up more screen real estate.
Personally I can't see how DirectX is related to Windows API, except telling it in which window to display the image. Transparent windows are made using Windows API, so I can't think of any reason why DirectX wouldn't like that.
In response to Zaoshi
Win32 API is rendered via GDI+, which is pretty much level on the software stack with DirectX, so they both assume exclusive device control for their respective parts. So GDI+ won't tell DirectX to do anything (and vice versa), because the standing assumption is it has complete rendering control and will need to do stuff itself.
Simple answer, BYOND isn't a modern program. It's a decade old.
Personally, I like it.
Page: 1 2