Kyle_ZX wrote:
So I'm working on a game at the movement and I've implemented a zoom feature so the player can choose between 8, 16 and 32 for the map's icon-size variable.

The problem is that when they're at 8, a view of 35 is not enough to fit the whole screen which is really annoying and I can't think of a work around. What is going on and how can I fix this? Thank you.

P.S Yes I like to push mechanics to their limits but this is actually well within reason to ask for 50 at least. Or more cool would be to just take off the cap.

A view of 50 is not in fact well within reason. The explanation lies within a quick calculation:

full_view = view * 2 + 1
turfs_shown = full_view * full_view

For a view of 50, the view ends up being 101x101 turfs, for a grant total of 10201. Plus extra borders.

The view is capped at 35 because this effectively limits you to around 5,000 turfs, which is still a lot. The more turfs you have, the more work DS has to go to to display them all. Consider also that when you're zoomed at 25%, the entire map is still being drawn but it's just being stretched into place. (I forget if DirectX has a shortcut for this.) At 101x101 that's a lot of blitting to do, above and beyond the work of sorting and drawing the sprites. Larger views also mean significantly more network traffic.
In response to Lummox JR
Okay, well in this case could you please help me with the error I'm getting on my map?

Screen : http://www.byond.com/games/hubpic/99413_9266.png

I allow the player to zoom out and this has changed the map's icon-size to 8 in game and icons are really 32 in their dmi files.

Any idea what that patch I'm getting is? Thank you.
In response to Kyle_ZX
Oh and the patch increases in size as I decrease world.view
In response to Kyle_ZX
I'd probably need a comparison pic to have a better idea what's going on there. If it increases in size as in covers more turfs, but stays the same size physically, then I think it's probably an element of your interface. If it covers more turfs, or just as many, perhaps it's a rogue HUD element. But it's hard to say.
In response to Lummox JR
Ah, you were right. It was a rouge HUD element from a chat program I had butchered and duck taped into my game. Haha. My bad. Case closed I guess.
Page: 1 2