ID:262987

I have a problem, and i need ideas on what could be causing this bug, ive looked through my code 100 thousand times and i cant seem to figure out the cause of it

rarely, when one player logs in, it will roll back another player ( usualy very randomly no relation in names or keys ) and they lose everything they did since the server was up, its becoming a huge problem so i ask for some help here.
Yeah... No one can help you unless you give us something to work with.. Maybe some code would be nice. Give us the code you have to deal with and maybe any run-time errors that may have to do with that. Other wise, we can't help.
In response to Crzylme
Two things we could use are your save and load proc/verbs.
First you need to determine what exactly you're saving. Say for example you have a mob variable containing a turf for some purpose. If, when the original mob is saved, there's some mob in that turf, the turf along with the other mob will be saved as well.
The rollback bug is a sure sign that you're saving 1) turfs referenced by the mob, and/or 2) vars that point to a different mob. 2 is more likely, since this is happening often. Solution: Take better care of your vars.

Whenever you save a mob, you must take care there are no ties to other mobs that will save along with it.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox your a friggin genious! <333333 thank you man

i never reset the var "usr.last_tell" for the reply command, think its that?
In response to Dark_rathen
Dark_rathen wrote:
Lummox your a friggin genious! <333333 thank you man

i never reset the var "usr.last_tell" for the reply command, think its that?

It could be; it could be more than that, too.

Any var like that should be implemented as the key or as a /tmp var.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
The rollback bug is a sure sign that you're saving 1) turfs referenced by the mob, and/or 2) vars that point to a different mob. 2 is more likely, since this is happening often. Solution: Take better care of your vars.

Whenever you save a mob, you must take care there are no ties to other mobs that will save along with it.

Lummox JR

Actually, I've been having problems with this same thing, so I guess I should thank you as well... although, I am 99% sure that all my vars that due tie into another mob are tmp vars, would it still be possible that it would cause this problem?

--§--
In response to Satans Spawn
Satans Spawn wrote:
Actually, I've been having problems with this same thing, so I guess I should thank you as well... although, I am 99% sure that all my vars that due tie into another mob are tmp vars, would it still be possible that it would cause this problem?

A /tmp var won't save unless you force it to, so probably not. More likely, some other var is to blame. Remember, any object your mob references or carries--whether it's an atom like a mob or obj or turf, or a datum--will be saved with your mob as long as it's not in a /tmp var. (The loc var is a /tmp, BTW, so it won't be a problem.) If those in turn have references to another mob, then there's the problem. An obj might have a var keeping track of who used it last, for instance, and if not stored as a key that could get dicey. A turf saves its contents, and some objs might have a reference to a turf such as where they spawned.

Lummox JR