ID:265581

Well not much of a design problem. More of an aesthetic problem.

Right now, I've got tanks in Faction Wars (I've had them for a good week or two)... However, My current vehicle moving system gets a little clunky when the vech moves too quickly...

Right now, whenever the move() is called, it loops through every single "piece object" that belongs to the tank. Of course, it loops through the ones facing front first. In the loop, it turns the object and relocates it as necessary. But, these objects are the graphical part (and the dense!) of the tank... So if the tank's moving too quickly, you're going to have some pieces of the tank moving graphically faster than others.

Shadowdarke (and I think one other person) recommended that I use overlays for the graphical part of the tank instead of 30+ objects... but I wanted a larger opinion first. Doing the overlays would mean I have to completely redo the movement of the tanks... or at least heavily modify it... and I'm lazy. =p
You definately have to make them overlays. Setting animate_movement to 3 won't work most of the time, and everything else is even more clunky. You're best off drawing the tank using overlays, but adding dense objects to block people's movement.
In response to Crashed
I didn't do the animate_movement = 3 in the first place. =p
Thanks for the feedback.
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Doing the overlays would mean I have to completely redo the movement of the tanks... or at least heavily modify it... and I'm lazy. =p

Not at all. Keep the extra objects there to ensure density is preserved properly, just don't display any icon for them. (icon = null) Your movement system would require no modification.

There is one problem with using an overlay based system. The overlays do not appear if the atom they are attached to is not in view. If that base atom is in the center of a 5x5 tile object, two rows of the object could be on screen and still be undisplayed. When the center atom (base of all the overlays) comes onto the visible map, 3 rows suddenly appear. If you use opaque objects in the game, you could walk around a corner to suddenly find a tank literally on top of you.

I don't think you use opacity in your game, so that's one concern you neadn't worry about. It's up to you if popping into view is better than movement breaking apart. Personally, I think it is.
In response to Shadowdarke
Yeah I noticed this when I last hosted. It really doesn't seem that bad... and sometimes it does get displayed when the center object is off-screen.

Also, I already made the change from object based to overlays.
Next step, creating 8 to 16 direction turrets. Whoo! Time for polar coordinates and pixel offsets.