ID:265611

I really have no clue how I should implement respawning after you die in my upcoming ORPG.

Anything religious like spirits and crap is sort of... out of place because of the Cyberpunk setting (Based on the movie, "Blade Runner")

I would love some suggestions and ideas.
Your neural image restored from Medicorp backups and copied into a new "blank" from your DNA archetype (mass produced human bodies often used for organ harvesting). Nanobots restore any previous features such as scars, tattoos, etc. Accelerated gene therapy can provide for variances in exceptional individuals. Your account is then debited for your "restoration". Even better, most blanks are installed with chips that can be used to compel debtors until their balances are paid. Noncompliance results in penalties ranging from painful warnings to full synaptic shutdown. Of course, their is a profitable black market in compliance chip removal (which is an offense punishable by death, ironically). Black market docs are notorious for poor sanitation and occassional organ removal as well.
In response to Jmurph
So once player respawns, they lose a hefty amount of money, all of their implants, and all of their possessions?

I like it. >=D
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
So once player respawns, they lose a hefty amount of money, all of their implants, and all of their possessions?

I like it. >=D

You could also make it so they can buy 'clones' of their current state. When they die the clone of their choice will be activated, and if they have no clones...they're dead.
In response to Ol' Yeller
An uber-pricey 'T-1000' nanite (nanite is cooler than nanobot, IMHO :P) upgrade, which allows for spontaneous regeneration and reanimation so long as all the pieces of the user are intact and within range of the transmitter (placed in head or chest cavity). Can be short circuited and such by electromagnetic weaponry.

Person28 headshots ThatGuy.
Person28: "OMG I shot off his face off."
ThatGuy's face reforms slowly, the outlines of their flesh lined with silvery nanites. The slug drops to the ground as ThatGuy's repairs are finished.
Person28: "*sob*"
You should always be able to get a cheap generic blank (on credit of course).
FOM'D
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
You could also perhaps add restrictions to the player over time such as disallowing the use of their hands until their debt is payed or maybe even limiting sight gradually. Would be cool to have a time limit in which you had to rush and remove the offending chip/program either through legal or illegal methods before you lose your sight completley. Of course it could always be adaptive to the player (i.e. warrior type player loses the use of thier hands, thief type character loses their sight, hacker type character loses access to memory banks etc).

Just my two cents worth,

- GunRunner
In response to Jmurph
Life got you down? Living in a slump? Our patented Clonotype® program will replace that ugly body you're currently inhabiting with a brand new chunk of spunk! Just nine hundred and twelve easy payments of $49.95! Delayed payments of 6 months, O.A.C.!
In response to EGUY
I want to see a version of the bad guy in Terminator 2 (I do not remember his name). Perhaps when he is shot, it shows the liquid metal being shot out and he slows down. When he is blown up or shot too many times all the liquid comes together to reform. That would be just awesome.
In response to Tazor07
The aforementioned T-1000? :P
In response to EGUY
Whatever, I like action not technological names so bleh :P