ID:2656229

Resolved
When particles spawn count and lifespan was so high that there was no more room to spawn new particles, the count of pending particles to spawn would keep rising. Now the pending count resets to under 1 if there is no more room for new particles.
BYOND Version:514.1547
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 88.0.4324.150
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
"When spawning multiple particles in a tick, they stagger their start time. In this case there's a backlog of particles to create because the engine is allowing the count of particles waiting to be spawned go higher than 1, which I'd say is a bug. (That needs a report. A test case would be helpful to confirm the fix.) When the backlog starts to clear, the new particles get a very high elapsed time to start, and so the engine tries to guess where drift would have taken them."

- Lummox JR.

Let's be honest. When you read that you knew I didn't have enough of a clue to know half of that. You knew it couldn't be me.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Run test project or snippet

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
world
fps = 40

particles
test
width = 500
height = 500
count = 20
spawning = 10
lifespan = 20
fade = 20
position = 0
gravity = list(0, 1)
color = "blue"

obj
particle_spawner
particles = new /particles/test

turf
icon = 'tile.dmi'
Click()
new /obj/particle_spawner (src)

Expected Results:
Particles to spawn where they should
Actual Results:
Particles do in fact not spawn where they should

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Allllwwwaaaayyyysssss
In other games?
Every game. Even ones made in other engines
In other user accounts?
Especially when I don't use my hotmail account from 1998
On other computers?
Haven't tested on my Macintosh 3.1 yet.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When the particle set doesn't need to wait between spawning different sets
Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Worked as of 1546

Workarounds:
Cry

Test Case
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/725458744711839873/ 811852044390498374/backlog_test_thing_particles_f0lak_feb_17 .zip
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
When particles spawn count and lifespan was so high that there was no more room to spawn new particles, the count of pending particles to spawn would keep rising. Now the pending count resets to under 1 if there is no more room for new particles.