ID:265722

I posted awhile about a game I've been working on that is kind of like a NetHack clone. Well after working with it for awhile I had a random treasure generator, as well as a random equipment and monster generator. My friend Keeth designed a "Dungeon Picker" which would pick a dungeon design out of a list pre-built each time you travel to a new floor in the dungeon.

Well after awhile I decided to go graphical instead the old school text mode. I have this listed under Design Philosophy because it isn't available for public play yet, but will be in the future. The game will be using the classic D20 rules (We've been over this whole D20 thing before, I don't wish to discuss it anymore.) and will feature a base town with a yet unknown number of dungeons. The players' task, which is still unknown at this time will include them descending into the dungeons beneath the city and retreating some sort of long lost artifact. There is a max of 99 levels with 99 points per ability. The game will be set up, so even maxed out the end dungeons will require some team effort.

When players die, they will be sent to the town cemtary where they will be a restless spirit. They will have to make their way back to their body in the dungeon to recover. Be warned that, if you take too long, your corpse will rot, dropping all your equipment, leaving it up for grabs to anyone who finds it. This game also won't have a ton of skills or equipment. There is a short list of equipment, skills and spells the players can learn, but it is more about mastering them, then just collecting the most. Here are some screen shots of the early test. I'd like any feedback and suggestions as they come along.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Entrance to the King's Castle

The Wizard's Study

The King's Throne

The King's Bed Room

The Castle Kitchen

To be honest, those look horrible. Aside from the fact that you ripped them from Ultima, the perspective is totally messed up.

Oh, and I like the idea about the corpses rotting if you don't return to their position within a certain amount of time and such.
In response to Koil
Koil wrote:
To be honest, those look horrible. Aside from the fact that you ripped them from Ultima, the perspective is totally messed up.

Oh, and I like the idea about the corpses rotting if you don't return to their position within a certain amount of time and such.

Thats fine if you don't like the graphics, I enjoy them, I enjoy them a lot. I have always loved the Ultima VI graphics. I got Martian Dreams and Savage Empire laying around too.
In response to Revenant Jesus
No no, I like the graphics. But they're isometric. On a 2D map. I believe this is called 2.5D, not sure.
The game sounds like it will be fun.

The screenshots however, made my eyes go funny because of the isometric images on a top-down view.
In response to Smoko
That sort of thing wasn't all that uncommon in the days before 3D gaming... it was a way of making a world look more 3D in a tile environment. I have many fond memories of Ultima VI and similar games, and while I can't say I approve of appropriating the tiles, it's cool to see that style being used on BYOND.
Unlike several other people, I think those screenshots look great. Ripping Ultima graphics is a little 'meh', but it's better then RPGmaker.

You may, however, want a better dungeon generator. There are several libraries around, some of which are free - I, for example, have one that uses a nice extensible little room-building algorithm. If you don't feel like using a library, feel free to take the algorithm and write your own implementation. That's probably best in a few cases.
SWEET! Ultima VI Online!

I would totally play that.... Though draggable inventory over the stupid buttons would be nice.

Oh, back to the topic. Sounds like a typical Roguelike, except without permadeath. Which means power creep.
In response to Jmurph
Jmurph wrote:
SWEET! Ultima VI Online!

I would totally play that.... Though draggable inventory over the stupid buttons would be nice.

Oh, back to the topic. Sounds like a typical Roguelike, except without permadeath. Which means power creep.

Well I was going to Macros like G to pick up stuff, but I'll look into draggable inventory. Yeah I decided to avoid permadeath because I thought it would annoy a lot of players who weren't used to that.The game will have some re-playability since I am going to allow for re-rolling your charater when you max out levels. Which in short, will start you back at level 1, with more exp to each level, but give you higher bonuses when you do level up. You'll also keep your old inventory.
Thumbs up here, I like the art style and I think its unique for BYOND to break from the mundane
In response to Tony WK
If you really meant it the way you phrased it - then lol. Also if you've read the topic before replying you would have known its ripped graphics.
In response to Kaioken
I don't know why you are talking to him like that, I didn't see the word original anywhere in it. He said he liked the art, so what? He said he liked how it broke away from the mundane. Well its accurate. You don't see a whole lot of BYOND games that use that kind of perspective, using ripped graphics or not.
Revenant Jesus wrote:
You don't see a whole lot of BYOND games that use that kind of perspective, using ripped graphics or not.

Yes, I figured he meant that, however as suggested by my previous post, the way he phrased his sentence means a different thing.
In response to Kaioken
Well if thats what you thought, there was no reason to correct him otherwise. You are being annoying.
You don't get it. I assumed he meant what you said as its actually the truer fact, but he phrased it like a different thing, you can never know. Know whats an assumption?

Revenant Jesus wrote:
You are being annoying.

In this reply, yes. :P But you had a re-explanation coming. Wonder if you got it this time.
In response to Kaioken
Regardless what I meant, I too am guilty of using ripped SNES (in your case, PC) graphics for my BYOND-pleasure. But I compliment on having something new, I don't care if it came from the NES, I like unique styles for BYOND games. It stands out more when its something beyond RTP Graphics and tiles.

Keep up the good work man :D
Alright, I've been messing with Hack N' Slash a little bit each day. I decided I would use HTML boxes for text boxes. Here is how it currently looks..

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Now what I need to know is, how can I make it look better? I KNOW this doesn't look fantastic, so I need ideas on how to make it look better. Is it possible to use a different front like Gothic? Something that everyone could use? I think someone told me people would have to manually install the font them self.
Hey, I'd love you forever if you uploaded the Ultima VI graphics. :D

Anyways, you could remove the scrollbar. That'd make it look good.
In response to Jmurph
"Power Creep"? What is that?
Alright here is a varation of the last text box, this time, the title bar is gone and I changed the font. Does this look better?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Page: 1 2