ID:265799

In my game there is a thing called body damage. It’s the damage you take when you die. It is when your body is injured from you last fight and the only way to heal it is by using medicine. The less health you have for you body damage the less damage you can do with your attacks. Now I’m thinking about changing it and making it a lot more detailed. Changing the body damage by splitting it up into 5 different parts; right leg, left leg, right arm, left arm, and chest. After that when you punch or kick you will have a dominate arm and leg which you can use and will do a little more damage and the skills will be based on the body parts that is being used for the skill. Then I was going to let people target parts they want to attack like the arm or legs and they will do damage to it. There is still going to be health and people can die from it. But when have it when 3 of your 5 body parts at 0 you will die and be out for about 5 minutes. And if some how they all go to 0 you lose your character and have to start over but it won’t be easy unless there is 5 or more people fighting you at once. Is this going too far with trying to make the game real as possible or is there no such thing. I’ve had this idea for a while and coded a small version of it but I have no idea on how people will react to it. So tell me what you think.
I like the idea, i don't think thats too complicated lol

though some players may find it difficult to understand at first and might not like the idea of permanent death
Pardon the rib, but there's also such a thing as paragraphs. ;-)

In any case, the system you proposed isn't all that realistic. The cause of death in real life is damage to internal organs responsible for regulating critical life processes. That damage either happens directly, via trauma, or indirectly, via exsanguination or asphyxiation (which are technically the same thing). If the brain doesn't get enough oxygen, it shuts down, sort of like an idling hybrid car; it simply keeps itself going on the latent energy it has stored up. If, however, the brain idles for too long without any extra energy coming in, it needs to start the motor. If it can't start the motor, the brain is dead. The heart, dependent on the brain to keep it supplied with signals, stops. The body, dependent on the heart to distribute oxygen, stops. The person is clinically dead.

Essentially, your system is an example of a location-based system, which works quite well in its own right. I balk at calling it realistic, although it's certainly more realistic than a hit point counter. More power to you if you want to go that road. I'm always a fan of intelligently-designed games.
In response to Jtgibson
For an example of an over-complicated but fun game, check out Battleships Forever (http://www.wyrdysm.com/games.php)

Each component piece of the space ship has its own structural integrity and so on, allowing you to very carefully dissect an opponent's ship (like they do in Star Trek - "aim for their cannons! aim for their engine!") and see it disintegrate piece by piece.
Yes and no. If you sacrifice playability for detail then it is bad, but if you can add detail while at the same time making it playable then it is good.

Don't make anything that will add steps to an action that seem needless. Take a cooking skill for example, it is fine if you have to make a campfire and then put the food on it. But if you have to make a fire, wash your hands, wash the food, prepare the food, take out a pot, fill it with water, and then wait 20 minutes stir, et cetera. Then it is a waste of time.