ID:265836

Right now, I'm developing a Hex board game for the BYOBG contest. However, I'm kind of stuck on a somewhat minor detail.

I'm working with 56x64 hexes, and doing graphics for these hexes take quite a bit of time.
Should I bother with doing 64 state autojoining for these hexes? Doing 64 states for everything that needs autojoining seems like it will be amazingly frustrating and time consuming, and I don't know where to even begin to create code that will do this for me.
Check out BYONDScape's "All Together Now" article. I don't have a link handy at the moment, but at the end there's a link to a BYOND application that makes creating auto-joining icons much, much easier.
In response to CriticalBotch
CriticalBotch wrote:
Check out <s>BYONDScape</s> Dream Makers'

http://www.byond.com/developer/
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Right now, I'm developing a Hex board game for the BYOBG contest. However, I'm kind of stuck on a somewhat minor detail.

I'm working with 56x64 hexes, and doing graphics for these hexes take quite a bit of time.
Should I bother with doing 64 state autojoining for these hexes? Doing 64 states for everything that needs autojoining seems like it will be amazingly frustrating and time consuming, and I don't know where to even begin to create code that will do this for me.

The concepts used in IconCutter could be adapted to your needs; you'd just need some masks, one for each side, and an open and closed icon state.

However, for terrain blending into other terrain, this could get complex. Like if you want a smooth meld between grass and dirt, that's a problem if one of the neighboring tiles is ice. The permutations get huge very quickly.

Lummox JR