ID:266020

Adventurer >> Knight >> ??
Apprentice >> Magician >> ??
Scoundrel >> Thief >> ??

So I have these three classes but I don't know what to use for their final advancement. Any ideas? Thanks.

Adventurer >> Knight >> King
Apprentice >> Magician >> Sage
Scoundrel >> Thief >> Ninja
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
Adventurer >> Knight >> King
Apprentice >> Magician >> Sage
Scoundrel >> Thief >> Ninja

I would probably replace that with Champion... or maybe branch into Paladin or something to give multiple options?
In response to EnigmaticGallivanter
I would make Warrior an intermediary.
If you wanted to use Knight:
squire > warrior > knight
Kyle_ZX wrote:
Adventurer >> Knight >> ??
Apprentice >> Magician >> ??
Scoundrel >> Thief >> ??

So I have these three classes but I don't know what to use for their final advancement. Any ideas? Thanks.

What about this?

Swordsman >> Knight >> Paladin
It just sounds epic, would you rather level up to a Champion, or a Paladin?...
Apprentice >> Magician/Mage >> Warlock
Also for just the epic factor...
Thief >> Rogue >> Assassin

In my opinion, you don't really need to look at a name of a class that fits. Just something that sounds appealing for the players. Paladin's are the highest of warriors. Warlocks symbolize raw power and fury. Assassin suggests someone who is an artist at the kill. It's always best if you give names of classes in your game a lot of thought before sticking to one.
In response to Emerald Kat
Devil's advocate: Who's saying a paladin is the highest in warrior-dom? You may want to consider realistic definitions when defining a hierarchy (which should imply progression from one stage to the next), instead of just merely choosing synonyms and making one arbitrarily more impressive than the last.

For example, why would a Magician turn into a Warlock? Warlocks are seen as evil and demonic, whereas Magicians are seen as either parlor-trick handymen, or in a D&D setting, physically weak but magically strong beings.
I can see Apprentice to Magician, and then maybe Magician to an All-Knowing entity, or something like that. An example is a Sage.

And again, who said a thief or a rogue is an assassin? Thieves steal, assassins just kill. And rogue is just another way of saying scoundrel. I don't really have any examples for this progression, but I can see Scoundrel to Rogue, or perhaps the other way around, and then perhaps taking that one step further and making them a Blackguard. Synonym-wise, these are all nearly the same, but I feel like they would progress further in their "scoundrelness" as you go up the tree.

Most of these things are pre-interpreted by a player (like you mentioned assassins, etc, but I disagree with the paladin and warlock because of personal biases) -- but they're always open for a reinterpretation if you do it right, and make it make sense.
Adventurer>>Knight>>Paladin/Hero/Mercenary

I think Paladin works well here as it is a grandiose kind of name that seems to imply power and might. You could also replace Paladin with Hero. That kind of reminds me of Fable a little. Mercenary was just kind of added on there as a what if thought, I mean an adventure who is skilled enough or even a knight who is skilled enough could become one so it still kind of fits.

Apprentice>>Magician>>Sorcerer/Sage

I think Sorcerer works well here because I think Sorcery is the next step from mere illusion to actual magic, same with Sage.

Scoundrel>>Thief>>Assassin/Mercenary

I think Assassin works really well here normally because to be an assassin you need a level of stealth and cunning that is normally at a similar level to a thief. I mean you have to be stealthy, make well thought out plans and execute them almost perfectly in both cases, just with assassinations it is on a higher level because the stakes are higher and the rewards are probably sweeter. Similarly I guess you could group a thief in the mercenary category as well as it is a similar profession.
In response to DivineTraveller
or page,

Page>Squire>Knight

As it occured in feudal england.
Thanks for the idea's guys, I'm definitely liking the look of some of them.
In response to DivineTraveller
DivineTraveller wrote:
Devil's advocate: Who's saying a paladin is the highest in warrior-dom? You may want to consider realistic definitions when defining a hierarchy (which should imply progression from one stage to the next), instead of just merely choosing synonyms and making one arbitrarily more impressive than the last.

That's exactly what you want thought xD If the name of an advanced class doesn't sound more epic than the last, what drives your players to stride for it? Again, I would much rather play a Paladin than a Champion. It's not the meaning that matters, but how your name sounds in the position it's given. Think about it, i doubt people would brag about WoW character if they had names like: Squire, Archer, Hero, Wizard, ect. No, you want to tell your friends about how destructive your 85 Paladin is. Or how you can two-shot noobs on your Warlock. It's all about appealing to the audience, not about making sense. Great Advocate argument though.