In response to Kyle_ZX
It also makes the difference between having to use a resource file and not. Games that run in text-mode don't have resources, so there's no download associated with them. They just run right away. Unless you used sounds of course.

Back in the day there was a Linux DreamSeeker client that could run text-mode games very well. The release of 4.0 killed that project.
In response to Nadrew
Yeah, that's true. With modern games now pressing on 5gb+ I'm sure that resource sizes are generally not a problem but I can imagine a sort of nostalgia and gimmicky fun with a game like that. Depending on if it was going to be single player or not I would actually probably just write it as a .bat
In response to Kyle_ZX
If your game is text mode, doesn't that mean that you could allow support for telnet, and people could play it (assuming it's hosted) without even having the BYOND client installed?

I don't know exactly what the limitations of telnet are, but I remember seeing a pretty good ASCII representation of Star Wars Episode 4 several years ago.
In response to Complex Robot
Complex Robot wrote:
I don't know exactly what the limitations of telnet are, but I remember seeing a pretty good ASCII representation of Star Wars Episode 4 several years ago.

telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl 23?
In response to DivineTraveller
DivineTraveller wrote:
telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl 23?

That sounds right. Strange it sounds familiar even though it's been like 6 or 7 years.
Page: 1 2