ID:2665775

Not a bug
BYOND Version:514.1550
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium
Web Browser:Chrome 89.0.4389.90
Applies to:DM Language

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
The bloom filter cuts off at the edge of the icon it's being drawn over, making it impossible to simply add a bloom effect over an icon that fills its canvas size

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
See test case

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
The bloom filter to appear around the icon, independent of the icon size

Actual Results:
The bloom effect only appears within the dimensions of the icon file

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
urrday
In other games?
urrgame
In other user accounts?
urrcount
On other computers?
urrpc

When does the problem NOT occur?
urrtime

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
urrver

Workarounds:
nurp

j/k.

Yes, you can create either a larger icon file (for example, if you want a 32pixel circle to bloom properly, create a 64 pixel icon and draw a 32 pixel circle in the center of it.

Test Case
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/725458744711839873/ 822562287256076298/test_case_src.zip

Unlike the blur filter bug I'm less sure about this one. I see why this issue is happening but I hesitate to call it a bug exactly. The key here is that bloom is a post-processing effect and isn't really meant for individual objects so much as plane masters.
Ran into this issue and got an idea:

I do have an idea but I'm not sure if it's doable: something of a "canvas_size" parameter that does (in the background / on the backend) whatever the engine does that requires a larger icon size to get a nice bloom.
In response to FKI
I already do this for the blur filter.

The main problem here is, the bloom filter was never actually intended for individual icons. It was designed for post-processing on a whole scene.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)