ID:2689559

Well, even though this was a short week it got weird on me, and I wasn't able to do as much as I'd planned. But I did get out a bug fix release for the new regressions in 514.1555 that came about due to the optimizations being so far-reaching, and that was good.

The main issue I was waiting on, which is why I didn't do a release over the holiday weekend, was also a regression but it turned out to have appeared in an earlier release (514.1553). It only didn't show up because the author in question wasn't testing with the beta releases. So the lesson here is: use the betas. I'd rather catch bugs as soon as they appear instead of way down the line.

I have some other issues to look at so I'll get to those, but particle foo is moving back to the top of the list soon as promised. Figuring out "persistent" particles is the big-ticket item, since it's gonna involve some sort of fake-object setup that I'll probably end up moving missiles to.

BYONDiscord is making some changes that should drive a little bit more cross traffic between it and the forums, which is especially good for people seeking developer help or looking to garner more attention toward their game updates. Of course in the process of adding some hooks to help out, I discovered I can't find the high-res icons used to create the program icons for Dream Maker and other programs, and I'm probably gonna have to redo them as SVG files at some point.

The month is off to a decent start thanks to BYOND Members, Patrons, and some on SubscribeStar. Your support is greatly appreciated.

We're in for some heat coming up, so I hope that doesn't impinge on development too badly next week. I'll find a way to muddle through regardless, but I make no promises as to the quality of my muddling. If your weekend is gonna be nice, enjoy it. Looks like summer's finally here in earnest, and although you'd think I couldn't complain about that, don't worry: I'll figure something out.
Lummox JR wrote:
I discovered I can't find the high-res icons used to create the program icons for Dream Maker and other programs, and I'm probably gonna have to redo them as SVG files at some point.

Back in 2019, I actually tried AI upscaling the BYOND icons, which I then roughly "converted" to SVG, for use in the VZ File Templates extension for VSCode, because it only accepted SVG files. It was surprising how the neural network was able to recreate detail that simply wasn't there. I'm sure the AI upscaling tools available today are much more powerful than they were back then, so it might be worth reprocessing the original icons. At the very least, these upscaled icons should be a better starting point if you wanted to properly redraw them as vectors. You can download them here.

Also, I believe the font used in BYOND's logo and a few other places is Dessau-Medium. The letter "N" was just modified with arrows. It would be nice to see that font used more often. It has a lot of character.
Lummox JR wrote:
I discovered I can't find the high-res icons used to create the program icons for Dream Maker and other programs, and I'm probably gonna have to redo them as SVG files at some point.

Community contest to redesign the BYOND logos? :O
In response to F0lak
hmm, might be time for a much-needed rebranding.