ID:2696756

Applies to:operating system

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Please make support for Byond on macos systems, I do not know how difficult it is, but I would really like to be able to run the game on my macbook pro on the M1 processor.
Currently, there are no ways to launch a Byond on this system, or they do not work correctly.
Please make support for Byond on macos, or tell me a way to run Byond on this operating system.
I would also like to understand what is the difficulty of supporting this operating system?
Maybe it makes sense to collect donations for the development of this version of Byond?
Why is linux supported, but macos is not?
Not feasible
Linux is only supported for the server, for the record. You can't officially play BYOND games on Linux. It's possible to get it working with WINE, but you'd better hope no browser controls require versions of Internet Explorer above 8.
ARM builds are never happening for BYOND.
In response to Zewaka
Why?
In response to NSBR
Everything is feasible if you do it
How much do you need to pay to develop a version for macos?
In response to Hodovoy
How to use BYOND on mac
In response to NSBR
For ten thousand dollars, are you going to maintain and update the build?
In response to Hodovoy
For one week
In response to NSBR
Within one week? Excellent, we are working. Will you bill my nickname?
I'd build a macOS client myself if it didn't mean I had to reverse-engineer the networking and authentication stuff.

I'd build a server if I also had the full DMB format. (Right now, something like 80%.)

If someone wants to reverse-engineer those details or convince Lummox to share them, I'll do it for free.

Otherwise, it'll probably never happen---I'm pretty sure Lummox hates Apple more than I hate cilantro.
In response to Hiead
Have you tried contacting him? Maybe he will still give you everything you need for development? You can always find ways of contact.
In response to Hodovoy
Hodovoy wrote:
Maybe he will still give you everything you need for development?

This is laughable.

Hiead wrote:
I'd build a macOS client myself if it didn't mean I had to reverse-engineer the networking and authentication stuff.

I'd build a server if I also had the full DMB format. (Right now, something like 80%.)

If someone wants to reverse-engineer those details or convince Lummox to share them, I'll do it for free.

The DMB format has been pretty much entirely reverse-engineered by SS13. The majority of the info is public. We (Goonstation) built a limited server back in 2014 or so, the main dev lost interest though.
Networking is somewhat reverse-engineered, but not as much. Lummox will never share this.

As far as alternatives, there is an ongoing active project for a server replacement - that's not going to be compatible with the current client.