ID:2697934

Another rainy, stormy, hot week has come and gone and it looks like there's more to come. Yay? I also got my first vaccination yesterday, which so far is going fine; it's the second one that's likely to be a problem, I hear. Maybe in three weeks the rain will have stopped.

This week I was able to go further on the underpinnings of the new particle stuff, although I discovered that my previous efforts were such a mess they actually broke something, so I had to straighten that out. I'm getting closer to the goal of independent particles, but it'll take some time yet.

Bug fixes were still a major part of the week, since I had to look into a number of issues. One of them was yet another gliding/edge problem that was an absolute mess to sort out. A lot of the newer gliding issues come from edge cases in the new eye sync system, particularly when someone used an even-numbered viewport size on at least one axis, but this newest case also involved the player mob having very weird bounds. Gliding problems are easier to debug than they used to be thanks to a lot of debugging output I added, but they're still a nuisance.

Another major problem was that alpha mask filters found a new way to be messed up in 514, again because of the switch to texture atlases but for a completely different reason this time. It looks like there might also be another issue that hails back to the beginning of alpha masks that I'll need to sort out, so I'll be looking into the test case that just came in for that.

I then found out that the optimizations from 1555 are still causing a few headaches because updating particles doesn't actually work without updating something else about the object they're attached to, like its appearance. Whoops. What's worse is there isn't an easy answer for that one. I'll go into more depth on that on today's Patreon post, but suffice it to say I'm now considering some options that might lead into more sweeping language extensions.

In addition to all this I chased some wild geese, which is never a fun part of the week, let alone a good way to end a month.

Thanks once again to all the BYOND Members and other supporters whose contributions helped BYOND in June. I know I say a lot that you keep the lights on, but that's really true. So thank you all.

June is finally behind us and it's full speed into July. Independence Day is this Sunday, so barring any unforeseen alien invasion I'm gonna make it a three-day weekend. Over here I plan to investigate my raspberries in between hellish thunderstorms, and if the weather would cooperate and I wasn't so afraid to do it I'd make a nice juicy teriyaki steak. No real big plans here, but it's always nice to have a holiday to recharge. See you all Tuesday!
If it makes you feel any better I chased a goose for about an hour and a half and ended up nearly permanently screwing up Dark Star as a result.

Thankfully I make backups and was able to restore but good god would that have wrecked my drive if I didn't have it.
Sticker books are still a thing.