ID:2699930

Problem description:
I made a game, and I tried to get someone to join my server. However, they can't join, and the server keeps printing a "BYOND Error: Failed to certify ..." error. I tried making an empty project and hosting that, but the same happened there.

I've port forwarded the port I'm hosting in and I've added BYOND, dream maker and the dream daemon to my windows firewall. The error indicates that the user _can_ connect to the server, but the server disconnects them because 'failed to certify'.

I tried:
1. to set my computer's DNS server to google's. This didn't work. I found this in an old forum post.

That's the only 'solution' I've found. Any tips?
Hrm. I've only seen this in very old posts. I believe the issue is rather firmly on the user who's trying to connect to your server's end.

Have them run through a couple "easy fix" checks:

1. Make sure they're on the latest version of BYOND (stable or Beta).
2. Ensure their system time is synchronized correctly (On Windows 10, open the "Change date and time" settings menu and click "Sync Now" to synchronize time and date.) Having the time be off can cause cert issues if I remember right.
3. Perform a hard reset on their router and modem to try and clear out any wild network problems.

Beyond that... I'm not 100% sure. Once they've done the above, report back with any changes in behavior.
In response to Spevacus
Spevacus wrote:
Hrm. I've only seen this in very old posts. I believe the issue is rather firmly on the user who's trying to connect to your server's end.

Have them run through a couple "easy fix" checks:

1. Make sure they're on the latest version of BYOND (stable or Beta).
2. Ensure their system time is synchronized correctly (On Windows 10, open the "Change date and time" settings menu and click "Sync Now" to synchronize time and date.) Having the time be off can cause cert issues if I remember right.
3. Perform a hard reset on their router and modem to try and clear out any wild network problems.

Beyond that... I'm not 100% sure. Once they've done the above, report back with any changes in behavior.

Hey there! Thanks for the advice. We (client and server) both updated, did the time sync, and tried resetting our routers, but it sadly didn't work. We're still receiving the error. Another weird thing; I also get the error when trying to connect to my own server through the web player.

No idea how to fix this. The error still is BYOND Error: failed to certify (null) from ip <>, origin <>
The web player is sadly in a state of disrepair and repairing it is quite the task, so it's backlogged at the moment. There are numerous problems with it, so attempting to diagnose this specific problem with it amid the others would be a fool's task.

You should be trying to connect to your server through Dream Seeker, not the web player. Give that a shot and let me know if it works.
In response to Spevacus
Spevacus wrote:
The web player is sadly in a state of disrepair and repairing it is quite the task, so it's backlogged at the moment. There are numerous problems with it, so attempting to diagnose this specific problem with it amid the others would be a fool's task.

You should be trying to connect to your server through Dream Seeker, not the web player. Give that a shot and let me know if it works.

Wow okay, that worked. Thanks!