ID:2701243

We had a dry day yesterday, and despite the fact that it was also hot I got plenty of work done. One of the major struggles this week was diagnosing an issue with high-performance timers on the client, that appeared in 514.1547 and only on remote connections, not self-hosted worlds. (Self-hosted worlds showed a similar problem, but not quite as dramatic, and their issues go way further back since the bug fix in 514.1547 didn't impact a DS-only case.) I had to do a lot of wrestling with Windows to make it listen to input properly when the client got bogged down. Thankfully, however, I was able to finally figure out a way to make it all work the way it's supposed to.

Yesterday I came within inches of releasing 514.1558. So why didn't I release it? Well, I'm still not 100% convinced my new var observer code is... great. I did a lot of weird tricks with it to try to make it faster, but honestly for as often as it'll come up (even if getters and setters are ever in play) it probably isn't worth being so complex and kludgy, so I think it needs a simpler rewrite. I'd also like to see if I can get more done for independent particles even if they won't be ready yet, and on top of that I did some optimizations to the StringEditor class, and I want to see if I can make some even bigger improvements that might have fairly significant performance benefits.

So I have a few projects to work on here, but I'm still gonna aim to get 514.1558 out early next week come high water or high water. Next week I'll be posting all the news early, because I'm preparing ahead in case things go way south after my second shot. They may not, but it's better to hedge my bets here.

Thanks everyone who's helped keep this project going by contributing as BYOND Members or on the various donation platforms. I'm grateful for all your support.

Get in your summer while the getting's good, if the getting's good, which for me it has not. But if you have two consecutive nice days, make the most of them. And if you see someone plotting to air a back-to-school commercial before the month is out, slap them upside the head with something heavy.
Lummox JR wrote:
(... getters and setters ...)

The Final Frontier