ID:2707344

Resolved
The previous fix for high-resolution timers was at best only partially effective, and didn't solve the problem properly, so there could still be lag for mouse and UI input.
BYOND Version:514.1561
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 92.0.4515.131
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Slight input lag when something is (right or left) clicked. Mouse inputs gets queued if too much clicks happen before the last one registered.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Click something.
Wait a varying amount of time (ranging from a third of a second, to about 3 seconds)
Click actually does something.
Expected Results:
None or very small delays between a click and the moment it affect the game.
Actual Results:
Noticable delays impairing ability to play.
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? All the time.
In other games? No
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Yes (Though not experienced by everyone)

When does the problem NOT occur? N/A

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? Didn't happen before 513.1542

Did you try to narrow down the version where this started any further? Because there's already an existing closed report for this that started with a much later version. However the existing report (id:2683666) was in fact dealt with.

If there are lingering mouse input issues I definitely need to know why, but to find out I'll need a test project that clearly demonstrates the problem, and I'll also need you to narrow down the version where it happens. You can download other builds from the 514 beta series by visiting http://www.byond.com/download/build/514/ and picking a zip from there, and you can unzip to a directory. Then to run Dream Seeker in an old build you can either open a command prompt there, or just drag your .dmb file onto dreamseeker.exe.
I would love to do all that sadly i donb't quite have the technical skill to do that at all. As for the version narowing i can't exactly do that since there was already input lag on previous versions within 514.
I've been having this issue when playing Goonstation branch of SS13. Most interactions involving clicks (interface, clicking mobs and turfs) seem to suffer from this stacking. Sometimes it takes seconds for this stacking to resolve and while it's still resolving text pop-ups from verbs start to act strangely, you can't focus their text box or even close them or the client without Alt+F4

EDIT: This issue does not occur in 513.xxxx versions. It seems to affect all 514.xxxx versions that I've attempted (which is around 514.1551 to 514.1561)
EDIT 2: It does not affect 514.1543, or 514.1546!
EDIT 3: This issue seems to start in 514.1547, and only seems to affect some SS13 branches. Goonstation seems to be affected, but branches like Beestation are not.

EDIT 4: Additional information about my computer, I run an AMD A8-6410 APU w/ Radeon R5 Graphics. Windows 10 Home 20H2.
514.1562 has a fix for this ready to go. I found the problem and was able to work around it.

Ultimately a big issue here is the way Windows handles its message queue, which sucks. The high-precision timers were basically causing input to get ignored if the system bogged down, so now 1562 has a new way of handling this. The previous fix appeared to work, but apparently it only handled limited cases.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
The previous fix for high-resolution timers was at best only partially effective, and didn't solve the problem properly, so there could still be lag for mouse and UI input.