ID:270741

I was wondering if it's possible to get an overlay/underlay (that is already being ued on an icon) and/or modify its icon in any way? This relates to an earlier problem I had as well. This is, of course, given that since I don't know it's parent icon I can't just replace it with a new one.
Wait. Why can't you delete an overlay then set a new one with the desired icon.. ??
In response to Gooseheaded
Because I can't access the icon to know what icon it is to be able to reuse it, because the icon depends on the location of the turf (eg, with a bench over sand the icon is the sand but I can't get to it cause it's locked as an underlay)
TO transfer 1 overlay rofm a mob to another, maybe you could make something like
//M is the mob that needs the overlay copied
//src has the icon to be copied
M.overlays += src.overlays

Since overlays is a list, you can manipulate it in several ways.
In response to Gooseheaded
Gooseheaded wrote:
TO transfer 1 overlay rofm a mob to another, maybe you could make something like
> //M is the mob that needs the overlay copied
> //src has the icon to be copied
> M.overlays += src.overlays
>

Since overlays is a list, you can manipulate it in several ways.

Hmmm, that's useful, but not what I need, since I want to be able to modify the overlay image... and for that I was hoping I'd be able to somehow capture the icon of the overlays, since you can't edit overlays once made...
[link]
It's about rotating overlays, but just switch that with copying them. Everything else he explained applies.
In response to Justin Knight
Hmm... but it's not me who is adding the overlays, BYOND does that automatically at runtime or something (which is my problem). In other words, I can copy the overlays, but I can't modify them, which I need to be able to do...
Because of the nature of the overlays/underlays lists you can't just reach in and get/remove/modify the images inside of it.

From what I gather you're trying to get them from a turf where they've been added through the map editor (by placing two turfs on top of each other), correct?

If this is the case then I can't think of a way to modify the specific icons inside the overlays/underlays list. You could change the turfs icon_state and direction, but that will change the state and direction for all the overlays/underlays as well as the main icon itself. So I doubt that's a workable solution for your problem.

The only other thing I can think of is if you were to manually add the overlays/underlays when you create the turf, but that's going to get messy fast.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
Because of the nature of the overlays/underlays lists you can't just reach in and get/remove/modify the images inside of it.

From what I gather you're trying to get them from a turf where they've been added through the map editor (by placing two turfs on top of each other), correct?

If this is the case then I can't think of a way to modify the specific icons inside the overlays/underlays list. You could change the turfs icon_state and direction, but that will change the state and direction for all the overlays/underlays as well as the main icon itself. So I doubt that's a workable solution for your problem.

The only other thing I can think of is if you were to manually add the overlays/underlays when you create the turf, but that's going to get messy fast.

Yes, you have my problem exactly correct. Any way I look at it it doesn't seem workable unless I rid myself of the overlapping turfs, which is not a solution, but mroe of a way of avoiding the problem... Well, if anyone else has any ideas please let me know, I'd like to have a robust way of doing this!