ID:2709330

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
How am i able to fix bloom filter lag? Besides minor values of course. I'm experiencing problems with it while applying in planes
What does the code/setup look like?

Using a filter on a plane master comes with some degree of performance hit, but using it just once shouldn't be a big problem.
/obj/screen_controller
appearance_flags = PLANE_MASTER
plane = 0
screen_loc = "CENTER"
render_target = "all"
/mob/Login()
. = ..()
var/obj/screen_controller/S = new
S.filters = filter(type="bloom", threshold = "#f27d0c", size = 6, offset = 10, alpha = 100)

When i do it on localtest, like, on a scratch project with just a few icons GPU goes around 15-20% usage

But when i do it to SS13 it blows up to 100%, and for testing purposes, i left places where there weren't planes being affected by the bloom and the GPU usage was the same.

Later on i disabled every single other effect in the SS13 project and it went from 100% to 97% somewhere around that.

It also costed FPS, it went from smooth to really bad.
Best response
You should put your code inside <dm> ... </dm> tags so it's more readable. Your indentation is getting lost.

It's likely that offset=10 is a big part of the problem since it requires multiple passes. The outline filter (which is where the offset comes in) gets worse and worse the more passes it needs. That said, it really shouldn't be taxing the GPU all that horribly even so.
Thanks!