ID:2717310

BYOND Version:514
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 93.0.4577.82
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Setting the mouse_pointer_icon var on the client rapidly flickers between the default cursor and the desired icon when hovering on non-map elements.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Set client.mouse_pointer_icon to desired cursor icon.
2. Move mouse over non-map elements in the skin.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
client
mouse_pointer_icon = 'SomePointer.dmi'

Expected Results:
Setting the client.mouse_pointer_icon should behave the same across all elements in Dream Seeker.

Actual Results:
mouse_pointer_icon flickers rapidly between the default cursor and the custom mouse_pointer_icon that was defined.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Everytime

When does the problem NOT occur?
Doesn't appear to occur when interacting with elements or on screen objects on the map. There are *some* instances I have seen where the default cursor flickers when clicking on-screen buttons, but nothing like I have seen when interacting with things not on map elements.

Workarounds:
Unknown

Do you have a test project for this? This will be a lot easier to diagnose with a simple test project.
I'm looking into this but I'm gonna wait till after the next release at least to deal with it, because 514.1567 is overdue. The fix is not simple.

One thing I see off the bat is that the internal grid control is setting cursors on its own. What I need it to do instead is suggest a cursor to the frontend. A few other controls will be the same deal, although some of the ones BYOND doesn't control could be iffy.