In response to Multiverse7
I think it works by sending data to the server back to the client like a classic 90s mmo game would. lol Not legit run the game in the background.

I am not going to go bugging people to see how their software works, though...lol

-edit-
also why do you really want to debate this? of course if BYODN really wanted to they can add raytracing for doom. It's just not goal...
Audio freak XD wrote:
also why do you really want to debate this? of course if BYODN really wanted to they can add raytracing for doom. It's just not goal...

I never thought there would be any debate. There has been a lot of misinformation and misconceptions about BYOND in the past, so I was setting the record straight. Before that, I was just listing details about a hypothetical 3D BYOND, to get a better idea about what kinds of games would run on such a system. I do find the inner workings of old games to be very interesting. The original DOOM definitely didn't use ray tracing, and the general consensus is that it didn't use ray casting either.

You should take a look at the Voxel Space engine. BYOND can already run that surprisingly well (at a low resolution), because Voxel Space is optimized to run on the CPU, not the GPU. The game Outcast used something similar for its terrain:

It's interesting because it looks like something between a third-person shooter and an old flight simulator.
Page: 1 2