ID:273739

How would I make a like spellbook or box or something in a separate window that would hold all new skills obtained like

|[O]Fireball|[U]Shield|[D]Supernova|
|[O]Fireball|[U]Shield|[D]Supernova|

kind of a fashion where it adds em horizontal till maybe 5 skills then makes a new line and adds on until 5 is reached
if i understand you right.

You want a "popup" that holds your skills.

So.
First thing you will want is a interface file.
File>New>Type-Interface file and name it. interface is appropriate

Inside there your going to need to put all your generic stuff back in there once you go into interfaces everything that use to be on your screen is default for no interface file. so make new windows and set them to panes for map, info and so on.

Once you got all that setup you will need a "window or pane" and have it set to the size you want. add a "grid control" and make it a flexible list is the best for this purpose. tick if you want the names to show beside them and thats that.
then
mob/proc/iamaskilloutputter()
for(var/skills/skill in src.skillslist)
src << output(skill, "skillwindowname.skillgridname")

that should effectively output each skill along the grid till it cant fit anymore.. then move to the next line.

You SHOULD also check out.
http://www.byond.com/docs/ref/skinparams.html
This is the skin guide and it tells you what thing can do what extremely useful.

http://www.byond.com/members/ DreamMakers?command=view_post&post=33352
Then lummox being the legend he is has made a very indepth guide on how to use some skin features and as such you should visit this guide and follow it for all 4 tuts.

<small>The above post was supplied to you by someone with average coding knowledge, And as such may be incorrect. This code was supplied to you purely for the purpose of demonstration and or help. If you wish to follow through with this code be advised it may not work for your needs. If you wish for a more in depth answer wait for power users (people who have been coding longer then me) to respond.</small>
Great this will do splendid but from what I read it seems when you call the proc it adds one skill to the grid how do i do it so it adds each skill i obtain cause from what im reading it seems it would only addin like one skill insted of multiple ones
In response to Xavion_Zenovka
Oh yes your absolutely right my bad on that one :p

mob/proc/imaskilldisplayer()
var/iholdanumber = 0
for(var/skills/skill in src.skills)
src << output(skill , "imaskillgrid:[++iholdanumber]")

That should be right now if im correct
In response to Midgetbuster
well seems that also what i mean tbut i meant more along the lines of
 for(var/skills/skill in src.skills)
src << output(skill , "imaskillgrid:[++iholdanumber]")

isn't the skills/skill the skill part isnt that suppose to be the name of the technique if so how does it know to add each skill like fireball ice bolt etc cause it seems like it would only add a one technique called skill and not the difrent moves
skills is a datum with parent type of obj (if you wanna do it directly or use skillcards with the same attriute)

skills/skill goes through the "skills list" for every single atom inside that list with datum type of skills. and then outputs it to the grid.

http://www.byond.com/members/ DreamMakers?command=view_post&post=35530

if you dont know about datums and parent types.
In response to Midgetbuster
sweet I got it to work but how can I have it where it ads the skills to the inventory but is hidden so you dont have the skills tab with the list of skills but only have it show in the grid
sweet I got it to work but how can I have it where it ads the skills to the inventory but is hidden so you dont have the skills tab with the list of skills but only have it show in the grid

Umm wtf? that makes absolutely no sense =\

Ill just assume you mean how do i add skills without putting them in inventory.. Making a list call it skills. add all the skills there. output skills list to grid.

or leave it inventory inside the for list ensure its actually a skill skip it if its not continue if it is.

Gonna need to be more clearer =\ i got a cold aswell so im a bit whacked out to