ID:273833

I'm looking for a library that does this and I don't know if it's just me or just that the resource searching is useless because I know there were many libraries like this.

Can anyone link me to one? Thanks.
I tried searching, but the only one I found was so bad... I decided to make one myself :P

Tell me if this meets your needs or not:
http://www.byond.com/developer/DarkCampainger/ QuickOverlayStatBars
In response to DarkCampainger
Wow, that's well and truly going over and above the call of duty. What a great library. Thank you very much.

This should be used as the new standard for overlay bars.
In response to Kyle_ZX
Thank you very much, especially for the comment :)

I remember how cumbersome the stat bars in my first games were. The more developers I can help to implement them quickly so they can move on to the "good stuff", the better.
Yes, I believe Byond is finally on the right track and it's libraries and help like this that only proves we are.
is the update proc one that is predefined in DM or should i right a proc(no idea how) to do this function?
In response to Kentos123
Kentos123 wrote:
is the update proc one that is predefined in DM or should i right a proc(no idea how) to do this function?

It's built in to the library, as a process of /overlayBar.

When you download the library, a demo should open that shows you how to use it. Basically, you create a new /overlayBar object, passing it the parameters you want, and store that object reference in a variable. Then whenever you want to update the bar, you use that reference in the variable to call update().
Hmmm sorry, im a bit new to coding, still learning the ropes, could you define the tmp function very shortly so i get a more generalized idea of what its doing exactly? Its a new function to me. Im still in the stage where i would have to define the proc under mob/proc/update() and then give a list of things that the proc executes or computes to get a desired effect
In response to Kentos123
tmp, short for temporary, means that if a method of saving is implemented, that any variable marked as tmp will not be saved.
Hey Dark, I couldn't help but notice that the bar library lacks some organization. Like calling something healthBar instead of HealthBar or Health_Bar which would be a lot easier to work with. Would it be alright if I cleaned it up a bit and sent you that copy?

I know that's just my style but I think it could help make it look a bit more professional.
In response to Kyle_ZX
What's wrong with camelCase?

If anything, I would rewrite it to use BYOND's standards (all lower_case with underscores for spaces, except for datum processes which are Title_Case)
camelCase is also a very organized way or programming, as I use it as well. You can also develop your own style with it. For example, I use lowercase for all of my datums, camelCase for my procedures, and Title_Case for my verbs.
By the way, Dark, could I take a look at that library? I don't really have a specific use for it, but I am intrigued. The link is broken, can you fix it?
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
By the way, Dark, could I take a look at that library? I don't really have a specific use for it, but I am intrigued. The link is broken, can you fix it?

Doh. I updated the title to include "Stat" for better search hits, and forgot to update the link:

http://www.byond.com/developer/DarkCampainger/ QuickOverlayStatBars
In the demo file, it shows healthMax being set to 100, yet when I use the set_health verb, using 100 sets the bar rather low. A value of 1000 gets it full.

EDIT: This happens after using the randomize verb.
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
In the demo file, it shows healthMax being set to 100, yet when I use the set_health verb, using 100 sets the bar rather low. A value of 1000 gets it full.

EDIT: This happens after using the randomize verb.

Yep. The randomize verb sets a random healthMax and health value. Jump over to the Stat tab to see the actual values.