ID:274109

Okay, I want to show up tonight but I want to be absolutely sure of the time. 7pm CST, that is -0600 GMT right?
In that case, GoB is on 2am in Sweden... Well no pain, no gain.

Hope to see ya there.

/Andreas
On 10/19/00 9:11 am Gazoot. wrote:
Okay, I want to show up tonight but I want to be absolutely sure of the time. 7pm CST, that is -0600 GMT right?

I'm confused. Isn't the GoB at 7pm PST Tuesday and Thursday and 4pm PST on Sunday?

Z
In response to Zilal
On 10/19/00 10:06 am Zilal wrote:

I'm confused. Isn't the GoB at 7pm PST Tuesday and Thursday and 4pm PST on Sunday?

That it is indeed. Being so Americentric I have to admit that I don't even know what time that is in GMT. If I recall it is around 8 hours difference, so that would make it, what, 3 am? Or maybe 4 am. Surely someone knows!

I promised Gazoot that we'd do a EuroGoB someday. It doesn't seem like any of us are really on normal schedules anyway! (Time for bed for me)
In response to Tom H.
On 10/19/00 10:09 am Tom H. wrote:
On 10/19/00 10:06 am Zilal wrote:

That it is indeed. Being so Americentric I have to admit that I don't even know what time that is in GMT. If I recall it is around 8 hours difference, so that would make it, what, 3 am? Or maybe 4 am. Surely someone knows!

That'd be at 4 AM. I go online at 5 PM here to tell him to go back to bed for an hour and a half! =)
In response to Spuzzum
That'd be at 4 AM. I go online at 5 PM here to tell him to go back to bed for an hour and a half! =)

It's way too late for me. Too bad. If we could move it to Wednesday though, I could participate since I'm free on Thursday... It's up to you people.

/Andreas
In response to Gazoot
On 10/19/00 4:08 pm Gazoot. wrote:

It's way too late for me. Too bad. If we could move it to Wednesday though, I could participate since I'm free on Thursday... It's up to you people.

On Sunday it's at 4 PM PST, which is 1:00 AM... is that too late, too?

I'm personally in favor of bumping it up to 12:00 noon on Sundays, which would keep everyone everywhere happy... it'd be 7:00 AM in Australia, 12:00 PM where I am (and, consequently, where Tom is) 3:00 PM over there in Ohio (and Connecticut, though I don't quite see the logic of how those two states are in the same time zone...), and 8:00 PM in England. In Sweden, that'd be at 10:00 at night, which isn't too late, I hope.
In response to Gazoot

Sounds fine... there's nothing sacred about Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday; they're just attempts to set times where we can count on seeing a lot of people online at once. On weeknights I'd like to try and be in bed by midnight (which I haven't done much the last couple weeks), but from 7PM Friday until midnight Sunday I can usually be flexible-- I'd even be willing to try wacky hours like 4 am Ohio time.

(I saw you online today just as I was logging out... I was setting up BYOND on my PC at work. Next week I'm demonstrating it to some of my co-workers. I don't know if any of them will want to create their own games, but maybe they'll at least pass the word along if they run across someone who's interested.)
In response to Spuzzum
On 10/19/00 4:14 pm Spuzzum wrote:
I'm personally in favor of bumping it up to 12:00 noon on Sundays, which would keep everyone everywhere happy... it'd be 7:00 AM in Australia, 12:00 PM where I am (and, consequently, where Tom is) 3:00 PM over there in Ohio (and Connecticut, though I don't quite see the logic of how those two states are in the same time zone...), and 8:00 PM in England. In Sweden, that'd be at 10:00 at night, which isn't too late, I hope.

12:00 conflicts with me having to fix the household lunch...but we can't keep everyone happy.

I think we should just schedule an Anti-podal friendly GoB for each week as one of the times...

By the way, advanced notice that I'll only have about an hour tonight myself. Circumstances have made for a late dinner...
In response to Deadron

12:00 conflicts with me having to fix the household lunch...but we can't keep everyone happy.

So, how about this... we can start at noon Pacific time and go from there. Deadron can join in after lunch. :)

I'll probably start out in DragonSnot.
In response to Guy T.
On 10/22/00 8:45 am Guy T. wrote:
So, how about this... we can start at noon Pacific time and go from there. Deadron can join in after lunch. :)

I'll be there too! Can't wait. :)

/Andreas
In response to Gazoot
On 10/22/00 10:48 am Gazoot. wrote:
On 10/22/00 8:45 am Guy T. wrote:

I'll be there too! Can't wait. :)

/Andreas

Okay and since I'm on a programming break I only did a LEETLE programming...I put in the requested turf replacement behavior:

- You can change any trenches in your line back to your dragon.

- No one else can change trenches that are in your line back to your dragon.

If there is a conflict in which silly players have managed to hook their lines together, then the player with the closest dragon "owns" that trench.

This turned out to be tricky to figure out...simple solution in the end (in fact about half as much code as I was using before) but took me a bit to get my brain around.

Or I got it wrong and we'll be experiencing some infinite loops!

[edit] Oh and Gazoot has added the COOLEST waiting music! People won't want the game to start...

[edit 2] And Guy has some new dragon images in the wings. Not ready to go yet, but should be in place for some upcoming GoB. (Yeah, we like the original dragon too, but it's not OURS and, to be honest, it's not ALL THAT dragon looking...)
In response to Deadron
I just added a bunch of anti-lag measures to see if it will help Zilal and Gazoot.

This includes spreading out the start game actions considerably, and giving the player the option to turn off dragon blinking (you do get a text message now telling you which dragon is yours).
In response to Deadron
On 10/22/00 11:42 am Deadron wrote:
I just added a bunch of anti-lag measures to see if it will help Zilal and Gazoot.

This includes spreading out the start game actions considerably, and giving the player the option to turn off dragon blinking (you do get a text message now telling you which dragon is yours).

Hmm the early GoB is on but no Z and no Gazoot...well I'm off to lunch and will check back at 4PST...
In response to Deadron
For anyone who's inclined, we'll have a second GoB, starting in DragonSnot, at 7pm Eastern/4pm Pacific tonight.

If you have screen-capture software, consider having it on hand to record your victories!
In response to Guy T.
On 10/22/00 12:30 pm Guy T. wrote:
For anyone who's inclined, we'll have a second GoB, starting in DragonSnot, at 7pm Eastern/4pm Pacific tonight.

If you have screen-capture software, consider having it on hand to record your victories!

Gazoot was off by an hour cause of daylight savings time!

Well we played a couple anyway and he'll be there for the bonus GoB.

There is a TINY chance I can implement player icons by then, which will make screenshots much more interesting cause you'll be able to see who is who.
In response to Deadron
Hmm the early GoB is on but no Z and no Gazoot...well I'm off to lunch and will check back at 4PST...

Daylight savings played me a trick... I got in an hour late. I'll be there 4PST=1am CET.

How about a BUT (Byond Universal Time) clock, so there would never again be any mistakes?

/Gazoot
In response to Gazoot
Daylight savings played me a trick... I got in an hour late. I'll be there 4PST=1am CET.

Actually, I think we got there an hour early. I completely forgot to change my clocks. Sorry for the confusion!
In response to Guy T.
On 10/22/00 1:52 pm Guy T. wrote:

Actually, I think we got there an hour early. I completely forgot to change my clocks. Sorry for the confusion!

I'll check in every hour from now, then.

/Andreas
In response to Gazoot
I'll check in every hour from now, then.

Maybe for now, we can key on the dates appearing on Forum messages... from where I sit, after I post this message it will be 1 hour, 48 minutes until the GoB. :)

In response to Guy T.
Heh... actually Daylight Savings Time doesn't start until next week. So the GoB has started! But hopefully it'll go on for a few hours...