ID:274417

(even the appalling MIDI format supported by BYOND would sound better with today's sound cards than what came out of an Adlib)

Apparently Lummox JR hasn't heard the crappy MIDI output from a Compaq Armada 1750.

Speaking of MIDI and alternate formats: in all my years of making music with computers, there were always just two mediums in which to work: pure digital audio and MIDI (though to the enthusiast and above, MIDI has always meant using the interface and protocol to control external devices, which hopefully sound just the way you want them to - the finished product will likely be recorded as pure audio, rather than be distributed in MIDI format). MOD and friends have always seemed like a fringe format - I've seen various players here and there, but while I've admittedly not looked much, have never come across a real program for creating them. For those of you that do, what do you use? What's out there for making MODs?
Air Mapster wrote:
Speaking of MIDI and alternate formats: in all my years of making music with computers, there were always just two mediums in which to work: pure digital audio and MIDI (though to the enthusiast and above, MIDI has always meant using the interface and protocol to control external devices, which hopefully sound just the way you want them to - the finished product will likely be recorded as pure audio, rather than be distributed in MIDI format). MOD and friends have always seemed like a fringe format - I've seen various players here and there, but while I've admittedly not looked much, have never come across a real program for creating them. For those of you that do, what do you use? What's out there for making MODs?

MadTracker is supposedly a MOD-maker, though I found it buggy and it couldn't do simple editing properly. (It can, however, play MODs just fine.) FastTracker was the best-known package the last time I looked, but it was designed to run under DOS and didn't have the friendliest of interfaces. Typically when I'd (try to) compose a MOD I'd use MadTracker to load the samples, save the file, then compose in FastTracker.

Lummox JR