ID:274573

<Mr Burns>Excellent....</Mr Burns>

I finally managed to get VMWare for Linux back up and running on my FreeBSD machine (using Linux emulation). On top of that, I have a copy of Win98 running BYOND. The whole is displayed over the network to my Mac OS X machine.

Finally I have BYOND running on my Mac, and I'll bet it's a bit faster than Virtual PC would have been. Only problem is the display over the network is a bit laggy, but that'll be fixed if someone would buy us that 100 megabit switch we have on the registry.

Screen Shot
(click to enlarge)
Air Mapster wrote:
<Mr Burns>Excellent....</Mr Burns>

I finally managed to get VMWare for Linux back up and running on my FreeBSD machine (using Linux emulation). On top of that, I have a copy of Win98 running BYOND. The whole is displayed over the network to my Mac OS X machine.

Nice! Unfortunately I haven't been able to do BYOND development on VirtualPC recently, because all my BYOND time has been in L&D, which is too massive for VirtualPC to deal with reasonably...
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
Nice! Unfortunately I haven't been able to do BYOND development on VirtualPC recently, because all my BYOND time has been in L&D, which is too massive for VirtualPC to deal with reasonably...

After using it this way a good bit of the day, I've found that the network overhead really does slow things down a bit - things get pretty slow with just a few movies playing onscreen, but it's still tolerable in ShapeShifter. I'd be curious to compare this setup with VPC - I imagine it would win handily in CPU intensive operations but maybe lose in graphics til I get that 100 mbit switch. As it is, the network gets flooded with lots of packet collisions just sending the screen updates.

I'd just display it locally on the PC but I already have 2 Macs sharing one monitor, both keyboards and mice on the desk with no room for a third set, nor a third connection on the monitor! Plus it's nice to have as much stuff as I can on the same screen.

Still, it works nicely for development and testing, and I'm happy to have BYOND back at home other than when I take my work laptop home on weekends.