ID:275028

I am making this game called "Squaresoft Winter Sports". Its a game about squaresoft sprites playing sports, winter sports. Would this be put in a FanGame section? If not, which one would it be in>
Well, it really isn't a fan game since it isn't based off of anything besides a bunch of mixed characters. I would be glad if you put it here though: Cable.ShoalinPublications

I made a post about it in the classified ads, check it out.

~Cable
Unknown Person wrote:
I am making this game called "Squaresoft Winter Sports". Its a game about squaresoft sprites playing sports, winter sports. Would this be put in a FanGame section? If not, which one would it be in>

"Nintendo Arena" and the like are pushing the copyright limits pretty badly, because Nintendo is the name of a company, to say nothing of the games the authors rip off. Still it's at least slightly better in one regard: Nintendo is also the collective name for several game platforms.

Squaresoft is not such a platform; it's known only as a company. In fact the way you're using their name makes it look like the game is theirs. It'd be easy for this to be called misrepresentation and you'd be putting a big neon "Sue me!" sign on your head. It's worse than just the Final Fantasy fan games, by several orders of magnitude.

Think I'm exaggerating? Consider if you made a game called "Microsoft Volleyball".

Dude, they'll kill you. This is too far over the limit to even have it approved for the fan games section. You'd do much better to simply change your game to regular winter sports, and drop any mention of Squaresoft.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

Think I'm exaggerating? Consider if you made a game called "Microsoft Volleyball".

*Shudders at the thought of Bill Gates in a thong playing volleyball*
In response to Garthor
Quivers at the thought of the new Dead or Alive Volleyball
In response to Maz
Shivers because it seems to be the in thing to do right now.
In response to Garthor
dude, i WAS eating..