ID:275086

I can't remember if I have posted something similar to this or not...but I'm bored and just curious. Who is a fan of Metal(some)/Hard Rock/Classic Rock? and if so who are your fav bands in those catagories... My favorite is Metallica, and then in no particular order I like AC/DC, Ozzy Osbourne, Guns N' Roses, and other 80's bands :) Yeah I'm stuck in the 80's rock era... But its better then now days Rock I'd say... So what about you?

Stealth2k
Seen Guns 'n Roses, was going to watch Metallica but thing intervened. Still is the chance though!
My fav bands are simply: Incubus, Weezer and Coldplay
In response to Maz
Now why did I know Maz was gonna respond to this first lol... Thats cool. Incubus and Coldplay arn't bad.

Stealth2k
QUEEN!

"I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike! I want to ride my biCYCLE! I want to ride my bike... Bicycle, Bicycle..."

Haha J/K

I used to like Incubus and Weezer but I don't anymore.

I now like only 1990s bands and some 2000s bands.
In response to Kunark
RUSH rocks!

Who else can claim to still be together after over 25 years (started in 1974, but had a short hiatus around 2000), and *still* perform great music!

http://www.rush.com - become educated about one of Canada's (and in some cases the World's) greatest Rock/Progressive Rock Bands!
Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Jimi hendrix(of course), Metalica, Audio Slave, Sound Garden, Ozzy, Rage Aganst The Machine and many more cant really pick a fav. I think your way wrong about music now adays cus theres a lot of good bands out such as Audio Slave, Queens of the stone Age, Red hot chillie peppers and a lot of the older bands that are still makin tracks...think about that.

Hendrix
In response to digitalmouse
Yeah, Rush is pretty awesome.

Who else can claim to still be together after over 25 years (started in 1974, but had a short hiatus around 2000), and *still* perform great music!

http://www.aerosmith.com/

You did say perform, not release. Their latest releases have gone down in quality, but with usually still a couple really good tracks. However the last show I saw, about a year ago in a small club, was amazing. Highlight of the night? Rattlesnake Shake, an old Janis Joplin song they used to cover in the early 70s before their first album came out. Wow.

As for other stuff, Van Halen has always been right up there with Aerosmith in my top 3 or 4. Too bad Eddie can't seem to get his act together anymore and they're pretty much dead. But that doesn't change the fact that the existing music does and always will rock.

Joe Satriani has been pretty much my #1 for a few years now. If you like guitar rock, his stuff is amazing. The vast majority of the songs are instrumentals, which mean no lyrics as a crutch to make an otherwise boring song interesting. He does it all with his guitar, and flat out amazes me every time I listen. If you are interested in checking him out, I'd recommend starting with The Extremist or Live In San Francisco for a taste of his live show.

Aside from that, my CD collection pretty much tells it all. Particular favorites include Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band, Steve Vai, Gary Hoey, Greg Howe (mindblowing rock/fusion guitar), Def Leppard, U2 (just about everything except Zooropa and Pop, which sucked), Eric Johnson, and more. Guilty pleasures include Guns N' Roses, early (but not super early) Metallica, Queensrÿche, and early Red Hot Chili Peppers (before Californication, which sucked more than I ever thought they could possibly suck; haven't listened to much of the new one since I got burned on that one).

That is far more than anyone could possibly care to know. Ain't the internet great?
I've always liked Ozzy and Metallica. Rage Against the Machine is pretty good, I love AC/DC and Guns and Roses.

As far as newer stuff goes I worship Disturbed. Creed, Nickelback, and Default are pretty good, and I hate anything that sounds like NSYNC or Britany Spears.

I almost forgot to mention Korn =P
In response to Kunark
thats not funny. Queen is great(even tho the lead singer was a fruit). 90s music name some.
In response to Hendrix
Well, you know, it is named Queen.

I already did in one of my posts a few days before this one.

http://www.byond.com/forum/ forum.cgi?action=message_read&id=173046&forum=7&view=0
Heh. In high school my best friend introduced me to Ozzy and despite all my initial misgivings, I came to have an appreciation for him. Whatever his faults, Ozzy at least backed up his countercultural image with music rather than the "noise with attitude" that seems so prevalent nowadays. It's ironic that so much of the "metal" of the 1980's has almost a comforting, classical feel to it now.

The disturbing thing is that, throughout history, every generation has complained about the pastimes of the younger generation; this suggests that in another few years, popular music will be so horrible that today's music will seem soothing by comparison. May God have mercy on us all.
In response to Gughunter
On what you said about the past-time generation not being fond of the younger generation music Gug, I am 15, and stuck in the pass lol. I dont like most of the new stuff...its just not me, now I admit some of it is ok, but I dont exactly compliment on it to people. I'm more of a Classic rock/metal guy my self... I like Hendrix, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, AC/DC, Ozzy, Steve Miller Band, all them good oldies lol...

Stealth2k
In response to Stealth 2k
That's good! It suggests that you like music for music's sake rather than for the attitude it projects. Next time you're at the library you might want to check out some Big Band or Classical music... they may or may not become your favorites, but at the very least it's interesting to get acquainted with new (er, old) styles and think about what made them appealing to their audiences.
In response to Gughunter
Same thing with movies.... Most of my friend's can't stand the movies I enjoy, mainly because they are out of date or don't have someone like Dude the Destroyer in them driving totaly fake cars and getting hundreds of half-dressed women to dance around them.(Oh, and I do have a taste for 80s pop! Then again I like almost every single type of music.)

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Maz
Score Weezer fans 1!
In response to Gughunter
I like classical music quite a bit. Its quite soothing, and whenever we take a test my German teacher turns a certain song on(dunno what its called but its quite pleasant). A lot of that comes from my father, from time to time I even like a little bit of bagpipes(definately from father,were irish/scottish). I also like some of the new rock, my favorite being System of a Down(weird thing is I got my dad to like this as well.) They have a certain style of their own, which isnt just constant screaming(for an example try to find the song "Roulette").

It makes me mad when kids say that music doesnt influence them, becuase it does. I know that music influences me, so I dont claim that it doesnt. I know what music to listen to if I want to be in a certain mood. Classical music generaly makes you relaxed, in a more calm state of mind. The Big Band music you mentioned, is a more energetic type of music, puts you in a more lively mood. Rock is different on the other hand, theres different types of rock within it, some will put you in a good mood, whereas some will put you in a bad mood or even depress you somewhat. Ok, I think thats enough for now.
In response to Jotdaniel
Jotdaniel wrote:
It makes me mad when kids say that music doesnt influence them, becuase it does. I know that music influences me, so I dont claim that it doesnt. I know what music to listen to if I want to be in a certain mood. Classical music generaly makes you relaxed, in a more calm state of mind. The Big Band music you mentioned, is a more energetic type of music, puts you in a more lively mood. Rock is different on the other hand, theres different types of rock within it, some will put you in a good mood, whereas some will put you in a bad mood or even depress you somewhat. Ok, I think thats enough for now.

I totally agree with you Jot. I listen to a certain tone and type of music depending on my mood, but if im in a normal mood i'll listen to actually anything. When I'm mad or something I will listen to something a bit heavy and fast (Older Metallica :D) and when I'm depressed I'll listen to "Stain" which is a depressing band in my opinion... Music does influence people and helps shape there personallity. I agree with you on everything you said, good point.

Stealth2k
In response to Stealth 2k
I don't really listen to music to put me into a different mode of feeling, or to use it to influence me, that would be like what taking a drug is for ;P. Instead I do it when I want to be entertained, but don't want to watch T.V. or play a game.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>