ID:275762

Everytime I try to connect to the internet, I get this modem error (number 678). Basically it means that there is no answer when dialing. It's odd though because I can manually dial in through my phone and be connected at 26.4kbps. If anyone has a solution to my problem, it'd help me out a lot. By the way, my modem is a Lucent Win modem and is attached to the COM 3 port.
When your computer dials, do you hear the normal dialing tones and then the handshake? If you're getting a "no answer" error on a good dial up number, then one of two things is happening... one would be your modem just isn't "hearing" properly. If you can dial manually and get connected, it's probably not that.

So maybe your computer is just not dialing correctly. Maybe you've got a call waiting code in there (like, *70) and you recently dropped call waiting or the phone company changed the code so *70 is no longer recognized. Maybe your area code rules got messed up.

Basically, if you can dial in and get your computer connected, but your computer can't do the same for itself... then one way or another, your computer is dialing either more digits than you are, or less.
In response to Hedgemistress
I don't hear the normal dial tones. They sound sort of distorted and (more) screechy, and there is no handshake. I don't have call waiting, but I've been noticing the phone company go by my house a couple of times in the past few days, so maybe that has something to do with them, but then why I wouldn't be able to connect if I can still use my phone? It's really weird, I think I should just buy a new modem.
In response to Data-Con
Okay, if you're not hearing normal tones and don't get a handshake, that could very well be a modem problem... bad drivers or a just plain modem. Modems are so cheap these days, though, and Lucent Winmodems are pretty lousy to begin with, so swapping it out for a new one's not a bad idea just on general principle.

It could still be a phone line problem... and for the love of all that's holy and most things that aren't, don't say "Then why can I still use my phone?" I've spent too much time in dial up tech support and every time I hear somebody say that, something dies deep within me.

A phone line problem would only stop you from using your phone if the line with the problem is the main one right outside your house. All it takes is one bad line or switch between you and the computer you're dialing into... one unusually noisy or poorly shielded line will really mess up dial-up.

Does your ISP have different numbers you can dial into that would still be local for you? You can try a different one, especially if it's on a different exchange.

If you've already done that, though... definitely go on to the modem.