In response to Rockinawsome
But America has a military build up also. Who are very nice on the inside, but on the outside governmental shell, are very mean.

I personally find China very interesting. The first nation in our history to run a so called "capitalist communist" state. Wether I should fear them or not is debatable, because if what you say is true, then I will be defended by you no matter what.
In response to Artekia
Hasn't your mother ever told you "If everyone jumped off a bridge, would you do the same thing?" Or something to that affect? Your comment, while you probably giggled to yourself like a little school girl for finding a flaw in symantics, is not a flaw in logic.
In response to JordanUl
JordanUl wrote:
I don't recall ever defending Saddam Hussein, or even... Mentioning him. Hmm. Interesting point of view you have.

I never said you did. You were talking about our wrong doings here and earlier it seemed like you were against the war ([link]). So I assumed our wrong doings were going to war.

And you have info that anybody wants to invade Canada? Frankly I am more afraid of an American take over. Let's humor this idea of yours. Say somebody did want to invade Canada. Well, they wouldn't. Which is what I was saying. In our entire history, the United States has been the only nation that has attempted to invade us. Nowadays only a country with a completely incompetent leader (Ala North Korea) would try something like that, because it would send shockwaves around the world.

No, I was demonstrating that the right action isn't always to sit there and do nothing. I'm not sure that's ever the right action when there is some type of confrontation.

And finally, no, it is not very likely that world peace all of a sudden happens, and that everybody has the same moral fibre. But I'm being an idealist right now, and what history points to is that what the US is doing now is wrong. I hate Saddam, as much as you do. Talk to a person who studies human behaviour, a history professor, or a sociology expert, and ask what they think of the war in Iraq. Talk to nearly anybody at any of your top universities, it's all the same. History repeats itself.

How is history calling us wrong exactly? O.o
In response to JordanUl
JordanUl wrote:
But America has a military build up also. Who are very nice on the inside, but on the outside governmental shell, are very mean.

I personally find China very interesting. The first nation in our history to run a so called "capitalist communist" state. Wether I should fear them or not is debatable, because if what you say is true, then I will be defended by you no matter what.

My flesh and blood(relatives) have always fought for the greater good, to protect and serve, as far back as my ancestry goes (can be dated and tracked) we've been on the right side of every war. It may be that if something terrible happens, it will be families like mine who stand in the gap to preserve those like yourselves. So yes, I'll save your butt (via my country), because it's the right thing to do.

In response to JordanUl
It's true about Stalin, we never stopped him, but why? Reasons are, the world was not as "global centric", and people were more accustomed to isolationism. It is that same isolationism that allowed the Japanese to attack us in the first place, it is that same isolationism that allows bad things in the world to happen because we can't be bothered, and while no one wants to run around all the time to save everyone, it is better if the key issues of our time is addressed, and the proper course of action taken. Someone once said it is better to of loved then lost than to of never loved at all. I like to think that it is better to try to make the world a better place, and fail trying, than to simply give up altogether.
In response to YMIHere
Good post. I am against the war of course, but now that it's started, it can't be ended. I understand that, but that doesn't mean I can't voice my concern over it.

And your correct. The right action isn't always to just sit there, but equally so, it isn't to instantly go to war. Can you agree with me there?

History is saying, that going down the path you are, you are going to make a lot of people mad, and eventually something is going to happen that could be disastrous for yourselves, and I face the facts, me. Canada relies on the USA for trade. Over 90% of our exports go across our border and over a billion dollars a day in trade between us. If something happens to you, it happens to us, wether we like it or not. Which is why I have such strong feelings in your politics.
Completely aside, but I have little something to add. Technically the ones who win the war are the ones who live on to tell their side of the story. Which usually involves them being right. But that's completely beside yours or my point.

Anyways, I hope you do believe it to be the greater good to save us in the case somebody does invade us. It's good to know that through all the rough times recently you don't want to boycott us completely
Are you stupid? You said EVERYONE. Everyone means well, EVERYONE. Not a majority of people, but every single one.

But really, where the hell did that schoolgirl comment come from? That was just stupid.
In response to JordanUl
JordanUl wrote:
I've said countless times that you can't pull out of Iraq.

of course i can't, i'm not in iraq.

Last time I read a book, you were going to give Hitler all of Europe till Japan attacked you

nope, europe was never mine to give away, and japan never attacked me.

North Korea should be the ones you invade next

next? you make it sound like i've invaded someone before, but i havent.

I do recall you never stopped him

sorry, i tried to stop stalin, but i wasn't alive then, so it was a bit hard.
Interesting aspect, and I'm not stupid enough to just toss it away. Maybe what you are doing is right and years down the road I will be eating my words. But without debate, there is nobody to hold the government accountable,or question actions. Which every democracy needs for the good of the people.

Your idea on Isolationism is also something to ponder. Pearl Harbour was essentially Japan waking a sleeping giant. Maybe (and this is just loose speculation) it would take an attack on Canadian soil to make us a militarized nation, and we just haven't been pushed far enough yet.

I'm just trying to see things through your eyes.
In response to OneFishDown
Oh come on, I was using 'you' as a reference to the government and you knew it :P Don't make me play with my words, it will just make my posts longer and more annoying.
In response to JordanUl
JordanUl wrote:
Oh come on, I was using 'you' as a reference to the government and you knew it :P Don't make me play with my words, it will just make my posts longer and more annoying.

oh, sorry. i wasn't sure what the government meant.

and by "the government" i mean you =P
In response to JordanUl
Well, sense you sounded more reasonable in your post above, I'll wager that I'm not apt to kill, and I don't like war, but I consider war (therefore killing) to be the only answer to certain situations, and that you can talk to people as long as you want, but it doesn't mean they're going to change their ways. Sometimes in order to protect those you love, you have to take away life from a living, breathing, human being. Furthermore, it is an undesired consequence of war that civilians are killed, (almost) everyone believes this, even the conservatives who joke about blowing away all the scumbag iraqis and Taliban terrorists. But look at the American change of Tactics over the last 60 years, we've gone from dropping free-falling ordanence from B-29's to more and moreprecision weaponry, everything from more intense sniper training, to laser guided bombs. The modern American military inventions are not like the howitzers of yesterday, but like the stealth fighters of tomorrow. Unlike our enemies, we do not train to kill everything that moves, but we train to kill those who would do us harm. We risk our lives, drag out wars, and spend countless allowences from congress (which is from the taxpayers) on fighting a "moral" war(oxymoron, I know). In the Korean war my great Uncle (who fought with my grandfather) got shot in the chest by a rifle so America wouldn't have to drop a nuclear bomb (the option came up, the president at the time refused). With every war, Americans have done away with more and more of the carpet bombings of Berlin, and moved to the precise, more expensive, harder to use, weapons that reduce casualties.
I bothered to explain that, because many present the arguement that Americans shouldn't fight in Iraq or Afghanistan(or vietnamn, or korea, or germany, or...) because civilians get killed.
Footnote - it is the goal of Americans to help civilians, not hurt them. We can't afford to stop fighting a war because civilians get killed. Unfortunatly we can't fight a gentleman's war anymore, we have to fight the enemy on their own grounds, which ussually ends up being Urban warfare these days. The enemy has chosen the battleground, they know the hindrance it serves us.
In response to Artekia
Reread it, you'll get the logic if you think about it. But you have to think. Also, why would you ask someone if they're stupid, just say it. For instance: You're stupid, Artekia.
Get the logic? I really have no idea what you are talking about. You said e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e. Everyone, as I clearly stated, means every single person, not all but one.

Because, I wanted to know if you realized your stupidity.
In response to JordanUl
My respect for you has shot way up. And that's a rarity for my view of most people (in my opinion most people are intelligent in one way or another, but they're ussually lacking when it comes to politics and/or ethics).
In response to OneFishDown
Nyaaaah.
In response to Artekia
Still a symantic, reread it again, you'll get what I was saying, and what I meant by quoting your mother. Com on, you can do it, stupid.
"and what I meant by quoting your mother"

Was that meant to be an insult? Get some creativity man...
In response to Artekia
Just a play on words to excrete more aggravation from you.
It worked. Also, why do you keep asking questions to things you already know the answer to? Com on stupid, just say it.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6