ID:276057

When I first came to BYOND I was in search of learning C++ but in my searches I found "BYOND" and am still interested in learning C++ so if anybody would like to help me out by showing me a site that i can learn C++ from then it would be greatly appreciated
also I would like to know that if you make a game with C++ if its actually possible to have the game online in an online community where others play... like jagex did with their java servers with runescape.. cause thats the kinda games that im interested in and therfore would like to learn how to make one using C++ other than BYOND... dont get me wrong now... I love to use BYOND but id like to get a game out into a wider variety of people... ive always have been interested in making an online rpg game for others to play.. and I will not give up hope in making that game... after almost getting a game done here on byond and trying to learn C++ Im gunna learn how to make a game with java too... I wanna learn how to make games with as many different tools as possible... BYOND, C++, Java, Gamemaker, etc...
http://www.cprogramming.com/

As for your reply to your own post...

You can do all that and more. You can do pretty much whatever you want. The problem is that it is much more complicated. The site at that link should at least get you started though, as it has links to compilers (including free ones) and tutorials among other things.
In response to Loduwijk
C++ at about.com - More stuff to get you going.
Win32 Tutorials - Some good basic Win32 console tutorials.
Google - Always a good resource! :P
Dani Web forums - Currently my choice for a c++ forum.

Be patient, It's hard stuff.

Prodigal Squirrel
BYOND's biggest advantage is the multiplayer support- I'd imagine it'd be incredibly hard to get it working in a low level language.
http://www.functionx.com/index.htm

Helped me get familure with Win32 API intell I bought a book on it. Ohh and take a glance at C# as well. I think its somthing any C++ programmer should learn.
In response to Green Lime
Green Lime wrote:
http://www.functionx.com/index.htm

Helped me get familure with Win32 API intell I bought a book on it. Ohh and take a glance at C# as well. I think its somthing any C++ programmer should learn.

I find tutorials like http://www.functionx.com/windows/Lesson02.htm very funny, because you need to be a much more advanced user than they assume you to be to actually find and read the tutorial. "Ah, so that is how to click the mouse. Wait a minute... I had to click 20 times on 10 different widgets to get here in the first place!"

/Gazoot
In response to Gazoot
Gazoot wrote:
I find tutorials like http://www.functionx.com/windows/Lesson02.htm very funny, because you need to be a much more advanced user than they assume you to be to actually find and read the tutorial.

Well not really. Someone could be looking for a tutorial to print out for their newbie friend. That particular tutorial reminds me of these print outs the teacher would hand out in my old High School Info Tech class.
In response to Elation
Well you're not really gonna learn the whole package on C++ by just doing online tutors.I suggest you buy books,best way to learn programming,which i have done and have learned alot.
I recommend this one.
In response to DaGoat787
Or you could sign up for an online course :P
In response to Elation
Elation wrote:
BYOND's biggest advantage is the multiplayer support- I'd imagine it'd be incredibly hard to get it working in a low level language.

*nods*

Socket programming is ugly. Very ugly. You don't really appreciate how much BYOND does for you until you try doing it yourself. =)
Try this---go to your local library and check out a book called The C++ Programming Language. It was written by the creator, so there's no doubt that it is one of the most reliable sources of info.

RD OUT
In response to Rurouni Dragon
that's a nearly silly suggestion. ok, going to the library is not the problem (in fact it's a very good one), but do you know that there are *at least* 5 publications published world-wide with that title that i know of, all with different authors- and not one of them was the 'originator' of C++?

:p
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
that's a nearly silly suggestion. ok, going to the library is not the problem (in fact it's a very good one), but do you know that there are *at least* 5 publications published world-wide with that title that i know of, all with different authors- and not one of them was the 'originator' of C++?

Probably because the originator was shot and buried by true OOP believers once C++ won out over Smalltalk/Objective-C in a fruitless attempt to stop it from spreading like a virus. As they lowered his coffin into the grave, it's rumored his ghost was heard shouting, "But I just thought of one more language feature!"
In response to digitalmouse
My bad. I was referring to The C++ Programming Language, by Bjourne Stroustrup(or however it's spelled).
RD

[EDIT]
Indeed, I spelled it correctly.
Also, check out the site here