ID:276115

After being a part of the BYOND community for quite a few years now, I've decided to ask an interesting question. Whether a newbie or a veteran, I'd like for everyone to answer.

How did you come across BYOND?

As for me, I'd say it happened about four or five years ago. I was really into DragonBall Z at the time, and enjoyed playing online RPGs(you know, your stats are recorded on the internet, you post your actions or whatever). Anyways, one day when I was searching for some DBZ RPGs, I came to a site that said something like "Online Real-Time DragonBall Z RPG." Naturally, I wanted to check it out. I saw the two download links- One was a link to the game, and the other to download the BYOND software, which it said was required to play. So, I tried to download the game, but it said something like download failed or there was a missing link or something. Anyways, I decided to check out the BYOND link, and came across a whole community of free, online games. Thus, curiousity brought about the birth of the Dragon, previously under the key "DarkHiei."

Side Note: My first game was Raekwon's DragonBall Zeta. I think it was at version 12 or 13, and I'd like to thank him for inspiring me to learn to program in DM.

Your turn to answer, and please: Do it.

RD
This topic has been brought up a few times, to my knowledge. Try a forum search, you'll most likely get a lot of answers.
In response to Artekia
Actually, I did do a forum search, but most of what I got was junk. So I decided that it wouldn't hurt the community if they answered one more time, and if the newbies had a chance to answer as well, you know.

RD
OK. I'll answer this yet again.
Nearly a year and a half ago, my friend mentioned MUCKs (Multi-User Character Kingdoms) and I did a search on it which led me to MUDs and MMORPGs. After playing the for a few months, I started to decide I would like to program them. My extensive search brought me to onrpg.com While there, someone brought up BYOND, and even though they discouraged its use, I decided to check it out, and I believe I made the correct choice. Yes, I do have to keep my pager turned off and there are a few members I wish I had never met, but overall I am glad that I am a member of the BYOND community.

Hmmmm...my first game was probably MLAAS, way back when Sky still hosted it. Of course, it wasn't long before he stopped hosting and I had to start over again on Nadrew's server. Now, I don't even play it that much, but I enjoy it when i do.
In response to Jamesburrow
Jamesburrow wrote:
OK. I'll answer this yet again.

Thank you for being such an enthusiastic, helpful person.

RD
Hmmm...my first time? It was a a while ago. not a long time ago, but a while ago. My first game was FFL, back when Loud used to be on it, but near the end when he left. Why I played it? My friends and I wanted to play an FF game together, and didn't want to pay money. So, FFL was our stop. Of course, now I don't play it because of the community, but overall, back when I joined, it was a great game.
In response to Rurouni Dragon
I'll tell my boring story once more >_>.

I believe what happened is I had found this game online called Drug Wars, and it was only a trial version. So I did a google on it and found Kunark's version on BYOND, so I downloaded it to play. I then realized how awesome BYOND is. I have bad memories from the beginning though... my one friend always forced me to play Zeta games with him. They were boring to me, yet he enjoyed them a lot, I believe. <_<
xD

I also found byond through zeta, I love dragonball.
In response to Jamesburrow
Jamesburrow wrote:
Yes, I do have to keep my pager turned off and there are a few members I wish I had never met,

;)

As for my story, I found BYOND through a Dragon Warrior Monster forum.
I had recently found my old DWM Gameboy cartridge, and I was checking out the online communities for it.
Someone had posted on the said forum- saying to look out for Metroid's Slime Journey game, so I downloaded the BYOND package, and that was my first game.
Dracon brought me to BYOND.....
[link]
[Edit]
Missed one!
[link]
In response to Artekia
I loved (and love) to program, but back in the day all I had to mess around with was BASIC. Which isn't the bestest of programming languages. One day, my father came home with a floppy on which he had the install files for DUNG (The precursor to BYOND). I was slightly interested, but never did anything more then altering that demo to make it ridiculously easy. I never learnt to program in it.

A few years later, I started asking dad about DUNG, because I had decided to learn to program in it, and we had somehow lost the disc and the installed version. A few days later, dad came home with the BYOND installation program on a floppy.

I used it. Programming was fun. I only recently started using BYOND to play games, I just wrote them. Most of my early work is crap, though.

A lot of it is still crap, methinks.
In response to Theodis
Ahaha owned =D

~Kujila
Google + Looking for only DBZ game in Summer of 2001

DBZ:NN

Haroki

End of line

~Kujila
In response to Ryuto_Entertainment
Ryuto_Entertainment wrote:

Erm?
In response to Artekia
Wee my turn to answer.

Well i was using Google searching for How to make 2d games and found this.=P
In response to DaGoat787
I was looking for an Online Dragon Warrior Game and found the Byond Version of Dragon Warrior Online listed on a MMORPG site and found the orginal web site for it.

From there I found Byond and started to play around with it, but at the time, my computer was a P75 200MHZ and I couldnt even run DWO even halfway well.

Around 1996 or 7 I came back under a new alt key after I got a new computer, but got discouraged from the community and turned back to ZZT and Megazeux, which I still think it is a better and nicer community.

Then in 2000ish or so, I started up with Byond again and Ive been around ever since.
In response to Kujila
My brother was told that DB: gekisan was a good game.

He played, I saw, I joined (well played with his key) untill I got sick of his key and made my own.
In response to Smoko
My friend was searching DBZ games in summer 03 and showed me byond.
Page: 1 2