ID:276139

Since I'm getting a new computer, I want to sure I want to get one which will last me a while, and be good overall. I have a choice of what type of processor I could get. Either the AMD Athlon 64 or the Intel P4 64-bit. The AMD one has been out for a longer time than Intel. I'm wondering is the bus speed vs the processor speed would make a big noticable amount of difference in the overall speed of the computer.

AMD Athlon 64 3800+

Processor speed: 2.40 GHz
Bus speed: 2000 MHz

Intel P4 640

Processor speed: 3.2 GHz
Bus speed: 800 MHz

I'm also looking for a video card which can run games like Half Life 2 well with good textures. I'm looking for something by nVIDIA because I want something that has Shader Model 3.0.

If you need more information on the specs, just ask. If there are any other better processors/video cards (which are not considerably more expensive), input would be great. Also, the video card should be DirectX 9 or above compatible.

Thanks in advance,

~~> Dragon Lord
Most people will tell you the main difference between AMD and Intel is cost. You can get basically the same performance from an AMD chip at a lower cost, for general use anyhow. =P
In response to SSJ2GohanDBGT
Just like Gohan said, the difference is realy the cost. I also find that AMD seems to run a little hotter than Intel, but thats easily managable by a decent cooling system.

And for the Video card, I have an Nvidea GeForce 6600 GT, and it runs GREAT. Not to mention it is rather inexpensive.
Athalon is cool, but I still use Pentium 4s since they've been more reliable for what I do, and they seem to more well-rounded.
go with the AMD X-55 with a 939 socket K86 Neo2 motherboard by MSI (all hail!) with an X-800-XT Platinum video card. Intel blows. Ohh! so they patented one socket, like their design was so great in the first place. oh wait no, it wasnt. athalon pwned u.
In response to Terranwolf
The P4's with Hyper-Threading are currently under voluntary recall due to a major security hole. There is a built in information disclosure (sends feedback data back to Intel directly from the processor). The hole allows hackers to compromise the computer directly through the processor, which means a firewall won't do you much good. Non-HT units were able to be fixed via firmware updates, but a problem with the HT units causes the firmware updates not to stick, leaving the unit open.

Some such models still are sitting there on shelves waiting to be purchased so you want to make sure you check the firmware on the processor before buying one anytime soon.

As far as AMD's go, I think someone already said they run a little hotter than Intels tend to, but the increased bus speeds greatly improve performance. Take a look over at Tom's hardware for the benchmarks (http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040601/socket_939-16.html). All you need then is a decent video card (Anything over $250 is getting to be overkill as far as normal gaming goes, so what you might have to upgrade it a couple years down the road, but pay $400-500 now, or less than $250 now, and less than $250 down the road?
In response to Nick231
i love you toms hardware
AMD. My 1.7 ghz w/ Radeon 9000 Pentium 4 always gets out performed by my friends 1 ghz AMD w/ Geforce 2 Pro

~Kujila