ID:276740

Well, My 9800SE is beginning to fall behind the latest games, barely hitting the minimum requirements for FEAR. Also, my crappy motherboard doesn't have any PCI-E expansion slots! So... with my upgrade options strictly limited to AGP... I looked at newegg and came up with this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102679

Looks pretty damn cheap. Should I get it?
i would have to say yes *drewls*
Looks good to me.

I stuck with NVidia last time I bought a graphics card because a couple of the games I play have minor problems with ATI (Thief 3, mainly), but don't let that dissuade you. ATI makes good cards.
In response to Crispy
In response to Nadrew
I've tried looking for better cards for the same money... the closest thing was an Nvidia 6800 but reading from the reviews, the thing doesn't overclock very well... giving loads of artifacts after overclocking a fraction of one megahertz. (might be a little of an exageration but that's what the reviews say... more or less.)
In response to Nadrew
That's a matter of opinion. =) Personally I don't think there's much in it, unless you have a particular game in mind. (NVidia reportedly runs Doom 3 better, while ATI is supposed to run Half-Life 2 better.)
In response to Crispy
the game I have in mind IS half life 2. =)
In response to Crispy
Yes, ATI is the preferred cards for Half-Life 2, but I really can't tell a single difference. Comparing my friends 6600GT to another friends 9600XT, they seem no different. I think most of the arguing over NVidia vs ATI is just loyalty. Though, I do wish I had the ATI shader for glassy camo in Halo PC, because NVidia cards invis are all pretty much bad and always visible.
In response to Soccerguy13
actually they have a Nvidia Card in the current Xbox... so the ATI shader vs Nvidia Shader doesn't make a difference.
In response to Soccerguy13
Soccerguy13 wrote:
Yes, ATI is the preferred cards for Half-Life 2, but I really can't tell a single difference. Comparing my friends 6600GT to another friends 9600XT, they seem no different. I think most of the arguing over NVidia vs ATI is just loyalty. Though, I do wish I had the ATI shader for glassy camo in Halo PC, because NVidia cards invis are all pretty much bad and always visible.

No difference between 6600GT and a 9600XT? are you mad :P.
the 6600GT is just a tad more powerfull then a 9800xt. I used to have a 9600xt and upgraded to the 6600gt for BF2, there is a difference when playing.
6600GT is a little better than the 9800XT... with higher core and memory speeds and pixel/vertex shader 3 support...

however, the 9800XT has more RAM, higher bus width, and one more vertex pipeline.